News:

Topic: grid size  (Read 34356 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 05:41:55 pm
Again I will not waist to much time quoting/replying to your further rant. Just a quick example of how you obviously do not read the replies, or simply ignore them.

Use the LUUV plugin. Thats the working obj importer. And this one imports the Blender cube with 2x2x2 meters.
No, it does not by default. Have a look at 3rd post on page 5, I posted and stated I had used both importers. Here, I will save you looking:-

A blender cube imports with the size of 2x2x2 in trueSpace

I have just been looking a TS 7.6
By default: The default .obj importer and the LUUV importer both import (into a new default scene) a default blender cube of 2x2x2 at 8x8x8. So you must of changed the default settings.

You need to read the replies put forward, rather than jumping to incorrect conclusions. But then again, you appear to jump to a lot of incorrect conclusions about various applications.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:53:50 pm by steve »

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 08, 2012, 06:15:35 pm
And i stated that the default importer is faulty and is not good for useage since the time when it gots introduced. And that LUUV has a checkbox to turn off Autoscale. And stated that those importers are aged. And that there were two new ones for the new part of tS that works like i say. This makes a ratio of 2,5 working in the mentioned way, and 1.5 not. Half because you need to turn off a switch in LUUV to get it working.

And this all with completely outdated obj im- and exporters. trueSpace is out of development for nearly four years now.

That for incorrect conclusions and wrong readings. You sir are the real master here.

I will not waste my time any more with you Steve. Do whatever you want. Twist somebody elses facts. This forum surely has a ignore function. I will turn it on now.

Bye. And best of luck.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 06:51:27 pm
Hi IStonia,

Anyway, I have changed the default unit setup. It shouldn't affect any existing user settings. Wnen I made the original setup, I had no idea what it should be.

The scene scale definition is changed from
0.001 0.01 0.1 1 10 100 1000
to
0.1 1 10 100 1000 10000 100000

unit setup:
1 as  1 meter
0.001 as 1 millimeter
0.0254 as i inch

grid interval: 25 generic unit
view grid interval: 0.01 generic unit

I see now that you have shifted the scene scale values, as the new "Scene scale "default of 1 is the equivalent of the old 0.01. That of course now as knock on effects when using other functions such as example, the "Soft selection"
You did warn of such problems earlier in the thread when making changes to the "Scene scale" so am now dubious about the new defaults and what other problems there may be.

I suppose I can change my defaults again to suit.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 07:41:05 pm
I see now that you have shifted the scene scale values, as the new "Scene scale "default of 1 is the equivalent of the old 0.01. That of course now as knock on effects when using other functions such as example, the "Soft selection"
You did warn of such problems earlier in the thread when making changes to the "Scene scale" so am now dubious about the new defaults and what other problems there may be.

I suppose I can change my defaults again to suit.

You don't have to worry about that. As stated, I just change the definition. Because I changed the default scene scale to 0.01 in the old definition but I wanted to call it scene scale 1 instead of 0.01. Just the name, the underlying value remains the same.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:46:28 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 08:02:19 pm
You don't have to worry about that. As stated, I just change the definition. Because I changed the default scene scale to 0.01 in the old definition but I wanted to call it scene scale 1 instead of 0.01. Just the name, the underlying value remains the same.

Yes, I understand that, that is why I am saying the default "scene scale" in now different and that the functions now react differently when set to that new default.

For me to use the application as I was before, I need to set the default scale value to 100 to get, for example, the same radial soft selection distance as I did before.
You also mentioned possible problems with:-
it affects the value zero rounding threshold in cut and boolean operations. There are also a few other things like view reset, retopo offset, etc.
So what effect does the new default "scene scale" have on those?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 08:16:04 pm

Yes, I understand that, that is why I am saying the default "scene scale" in now different and that the functions now react differently when set to that new default.

For me to use the application as I was before, I need to set the default scale value to 100 to get, for example, the same radial soft selection distance as I did before.
You also mentioned possible problems with:-
it affects the value zero rounding threshold in cut and boolean operations. There are also a few other things like view reset, retopo offset, etc.
So what effect does the new default "scene scale" have on those?

You don't need to change your settings. Every thing should work the same. Just the naming in scene scale change to make the new default scene scale to be called 1, but its real value used in the program is still 0.01. For example, if you change your name from steve to david, your body still remain the same.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:25:04 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 08:32:46 pm
You don't need to change your settings. Every thing should work the same. Just the naming in scene scale change to make the new default scene scale call 1, but its real value used in the program is still 0.01. For example, if you change your name from steve to david, your body still remain the same.

The new "scene scale" is actually 0.01, but it is changed to name 1, yes.

So, the default "Scene scale" of the programme are now 0.01, which changes the functions of the programme as you have warned (although not explained).

My defaults where "scene scale" 1, but if now set to that, the programme functions are no longer the same (because it is actually set to 0.01), so I have to change the "scene scale" to 100 to get back the same functionality I had before.

If you have an apple and a pear, if you change the names around and I want an apple, then I need to then choose a pear.

Why change the names at all?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:40:03 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 08:57:36 pm
Why change the names at all?

Because I think "1" more sound like a default setting than the others. I know every new change to the existing may potentially confuse existing users. I don't know any other tool's default setting, but I do know Silo's default setting is at this level. So if new people from an app which has the same default setting or close to that, they may have less trouble on the scaling issue.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 09:32:09 pm
I know every new change to the existing may potentially confuse existing users.

It is not just possible confusion. You specifically put forward to 3dwizzard earlier in the thread:-
3dwizzard, make sure you have the right scene scale, 0.1. Some calcualation operations are scene scale dependent. Keep it right and you will avoid some unexpected problems.

So will setting 0.1 in the current new configuration cause unexpected problems now? Should he have that setting now at 10?

If you had not changed the defaults, would you advise everyone to set a default scene scale of 0.01?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 10:20:10 pm
So will setting 0.1 in the current new configuration cause unexpected problems now? Should he have that setting now at 10?

Yes, when he opens the scene scale setting, he will found that the setting is now 10. He will ask "What the ... happened.".

That is not a big issue. He can ask then I can answer. The big issue is I expect new users to have less trouble.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 10:30:45 pm
But 3dwizzard would not then be using the defaults.

So for clarity, working in a scene with a default setting of 0.01 is not going to cause issues? Those issues that you put forward earlier would actually happen?.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 10:41:55 pm
I don't unstand the problem you are describing.

If 3dwizzard never open the scene scale again, he'll never know the naming changed. Every thing will work the same as before. Sure he'll know this changes from reading these posts.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 10:59:26 pm
I don't unstand the problem you are describing.
  The new default scene scale is now 0.01 (you have renamed it 1).

You have put forward that the "scene scale" can cause issue. I have asked several times if working in a default scene scale of 0.01 will cause issues you mentioned?

The scene scale affects the soft selection range. I remember that you know that. Also, it affects the value zero rounding threshold in cut and boolean operations. There are also a few other things like view reset, retopo offset, etc.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 11:16:57 pm
It shouldn't be a problem at all since the underlying scene scale value is not changed. For example, if you set the scene scale to 100(new naming), the actual scene scale the program uses is 1, not 100. As you have stated before, your scene scale is 1(old naming) and now it is presented as 100. Since its scene scale remains as 1, it should not cause any prolem. It is just an interface thing.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 11:24:07 pm
Sorry, but you are not really seeing my point.

Forget about 3dwizzard setting and forget about my settings.

The new default "scene scale" setting is 0.01
 Will that cause issue when using that default?