News:

Topic: Performance Issues!!  (Read 4144 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 16, 2013, 12:27:24 pm

Hi everyone, I really wonder how's the performance of Nvil for you guys? anyone managed to work on large geometry?

I am not really sure if it's just me but I am quite surprise no one mentioned about performance issues. On my old laptop, Intel i5 CPU, 2.53GHz, 6gig of rams, some usable Nvidia graphic card (GeForce 310M), here's the startup time for a few of the applications I use:

Silo    ~1 secs
Maya    ~40 secs (it is sometimes longer)
Zbrush  ~50 secs
Nvil    ~50 secs

Maya usually takes quite a while to load from my memory, but when I measure it just now, it is about 10 secs faster than Nvil.

Nvil also handle large geometry pretty badly. I have a character model that I am working on, that I ZRemeshed in Zbrush, it's ~11,000 tris, or ~5500 polys, it feels laggish inside Nvil, is about ~0.5 secs of lagging between operations. Silo don't have problems working with that amount of polygons, and is operating as smooth as it can.

I really like Nvil's modeling features, but there's something missing that makes me want to use it less. I like to open up Silo, even though I don't use it anymore, because it takes just 1-2 secs to open an obj file with it, I use it to preview objs file, and use it to fix something simple. I will really hesitate to use Nvil to open up and obj file because it takes a long time.

I also hope Nvil can handle large amount of polygons and still feel smooth to work with. I think ~10,000 or 20,000 is the standard these days for a character? (or maybe even higher for film? I don't really know...)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 17, 2013, 06:09:42 pm
About 15 seconds for me to load nvil on my i7 computer and on my i7 laptop. What I find very annoying and unprofessional is the way the screen goes white and doesn't show the interface properly until it's properly running.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 17, 2013, 11:54:15 pm
15 secs is soo much better!

Then I test the time again just now, the results differs much from last time!  :-[

Silo   ~1 secs
Nvil   ~30 secs
Zbrush ~30 secs
Maya   ~45 secs

Also, for the time I posted, I wait until the app becomes responsive (white screen doesn't count) before I hit the Pause button on the stop watch.

Then I try working with my character again to check Nvil performance, it is much better than last time! I duplicate the character so it becomes around 23,000 tris, and is still working quite fast.

I think is my pc, once I upgrade to a i7 PC and better graphic cards, I am sure Nvil will work smoothly enough :D

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 18, 2013, 09:30:31 am
Hi miica

I'm running an I5 PC with 16GB RAM and find NVil completely loads within 8 seconds(ready to start modelling).  Also I have loaded scenes with around 370,000 polygons and still have fast performance - no discernible slowdown.  I should mention that I am running NVil from a SSD so this may account for some of my findings. 

Cheers
Mal

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 18, 2013, 04:22:20 pm
ya it takes a while for what it is for me too, and i got a pretty beefy system with a i7 and 32gb ram.

i feel i would use nvil much more if the start time was fast. Maya is main modeling application, and i have scripts setup to bring things back and forward between nvil and maya quickly. I would see my self using nvil more, if in one button i can have it up and running, with my model from maya loaded up in it.

think that would suit my workflow, since i work on environments i generally have maybe 50 different models in a maya scene, that i work on, and when i need more advanced modeling tools, i fire over only the current asset im working on to nvil.

Also on a other note, fbx support would be great too, since when i get into later stages of a envirmeant, i cant use nvil at all anymore, since if i do, i lose my 2nd uv set, and vertex colour due to obj not supporting either, and i noticed a lot of tools for nvil fuck uv's up.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
October 20, 2013, 12:04:35 am
Thanks guys for the inputs. the SSD thing is interesting, I never thought that it would give that much of performance boost, I will check it out.

I haven't work with anything complex like environment or any game models, so I don't use fbx so far. So I use obj all the time, and last time when I use silo, I work back and forth between maya and silo, it works very well, I also wrote some python scripts to do the import export, it usually takes less than 5 secs to send my mesh from Maya to silo, or from silo to maya... I wish I can work with nvil that way too :D

I will upgrade my pc soon, jealous of you guys :D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 24, 2013, 08:53:00 pm
I was just having a quick look at Nvil startup.

It really needs to be looked at by IStonia. Just a quick glance shows many issues. A simple example (on my win7 64 setup):-

Nvil will make RegQueryValue @ HKLM\Hardware\Devicemap\Video\\Device\video4
That leads to reading the various reg entries for that profile, which is currently 16 entries.

That I understand, however, it then repeats that exact query and read process approx 180 times.  :o

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 28, 2013, 12:00:05 am
(...)nd i noticed a lot of tools for nvil fuck uv's up.
Could you tell us which tools corrupt UVs?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 30, 2013, 01:46:59 am
most of the modeling tools aside from your basic translation tools. the problem is farther compounded by that fact that you cant have the UV editor open while modeling.

doesn't corrupt them all, it just doesn't work as expected, like if i did a bevel, i would need to go in the uv editor and do some stiching, vs in maya or max it figures out how to give uv space to the bevel.

since in maya say a tool operation like bevel causes splits in the uv's i will immediately see the problem since i have my uv editor open all the time in the 2nd display and fix it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 05, 2013, 01:36:05 am
Ah, so it's nothing to worry about then. :)