News:

Topic: Spherize tool not making perfect circle  (Read 4571 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 24, 2013, 04:07:04 pm
I tried out Nvil for the first time this afternoon, been knowing this modeling tool for a long time now since last year.. I need to explore more but looks like this could replace Silo for me :) The lil bit of annoyance so far is the ui and navigation feels a tiny bit laggy? But maybe I open too much programs... I just want to ask about the Spherize tool, I want to do something like this:

It is from a timelapse modeling video using Softimage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct9voyU3h0). Vitaly bulgarov use this technique many times.. so I tried this in Nvil, using Spherize from the menu, this is what I get...

it didn't give me a perfect circle? I am new to Nvil so maybe I din't find the option yet or I use it wrong. I also remember reading somewhere there's a Circularize tool, but I can't find it.

Edit:
Ah... I posted on the wrong section! sorry  :-[
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:22:26 pm by miica »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 24, 2013, 04:23:11 pm
hmm, try using the space loop command before spherize.

looks like it is trying to make a circle, but the verts just arent spaced right.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 24, 2013, 04:47:26 pm
Hi miica,

it didn't give me a perfect circle? I am new to Nvil so maybe I din't find the option yet or I use it wrong.
The "Spherize" will only move the sub_object selection to a radius from the manipulator,  it will not automatically equally space them. As mentioned by Passerby, you would also need to use the "Space Loop" function on that example.

I also remember reading somewhere there's a Circularize tool, but I can't find it.
That is a basic streamline tool. You will need to setup a streamline engine tool for that.
There is info in the help file (Help -> Tutorial -> Set Up A StreamLine Tool.) that should help you set up the streamline tool.

• Triangle
April 24, 2013, 07:06:12 pm
There's something to notice in the image above about the clean circle that got me wondering, so I watched that part in the video. The thing that startled me at first was, that it indeed is a circle, but there are far less edges connected to it. Now imagine straight lines between the edges that connect to the circle. You wouldn't get anything similar to a circle at all!
The artist in his video subdivides the polygon with an algorithm, which NVil doesn't have (yet). You can see it in the 49th second of the video. The artist then deletes the inner edges, in NVil this is the 'Make NGon' operation. Only after that the polygon is circularized.

If you can't find something in NVil, just use the tool search. It will almost list everthing there is, except preferences. In this case, type in "circ" and the results will automatically update and you will find the streamline basic tool at the bottom. You can also activate and use it from there.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 24, 2013, 07:17:31 pm
could always subdivide the edges first to add more geo for it to work with?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 24, 2013, 07:29:13 pm
I select the edges and use "Break selected edges" to divide them up.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
April 25, 2013, 05:53:38 am

Hey, thanks for the helps, I am very happy to see Nvil able to do it!

I tried execute space loop, spherize a few times and it's giving me nice circle now. I also found circularize, which is even better, it gives me a nice circle in one step :D

If you can't find something in NVil, just use the tool search. It will almost list everthing there is, except preferences. In this case, type in "circ" and the results will automatically update and you will find the streamline basic tool at the bottom. You can also activate and use it from there.
I discovered 'tool search', very useful :)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 25, 2013, 07:09:23 am
The artist in his video subdivides the polygon with an algorithm, which NVil doesn't have (yet). You can see it in the 49th second of the video.

I had a look. That operation is called "Dicing Polygons". Info:- http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/polys_DicingPolygons.htm

• Triangle
April 25, 2013, 01:27:32 pm
In the latest version (2013-Apr-25) there's now also an option in the 'Polygon Shortcut Tools -> Subdivision' tool to only subdivide the selected polygons. If you've done that, you could use 'Make NGon' and then use the circularize tool.

If you keep the vertices inside the selection, circularize will mess it up, but you could afterwards convert the selected polygons to inside vertices and use 'Subobject Shortcut Tools -> Relax Selection' a few times to even things out.