News:

Topic: Tutorials (some feedback first please)  (Read 9586 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 11, 2013, 11:49:03 pm
Hello,

I am going to start some tutorials. They will start with the very basics (such as view navigation options) and move up through configuring the UI and the various tools/functions.

First and foremost, I need to decide on what to do first and how to organize into various sections (such as beginner etc). For example, I was thinking first to make a vid on how to reorganize the UI, mainly due to the fact it is, by default, quite busy (meaning:- lots of stuff showing all over the place). I think that can be a bit off-putting and confusing. However, I think most window users know how to move windows around, and I think it is quite obvious as to the options simply by dragging a window around in NVIL (or maybe not??). So rather than that being the first vid, I thought I would create a config file which I could upload, and if a user wants to follow the vids based on my view/config, they can simply download it and use that rather than going through the process of UI config first(as my base config as some user windows/buttons, which, creating those would be a topic to cover later.)

So what do other think. Would a config file be better idea than going though a "drag`n`drop windows" vid, and instead be able to jump in (with a pre-config setup (if wanted)) and the first vid being how to view navigate?

Another question. What screen resolution is most commonly used now? I have full HD (1920-1080).

I have attached a screen_grab of Nvil with the config file I would use. I have placed user_tool_windows that contain buttons to open the currently closed windows, and another that contains snapping options. Do you think that would be OK?

Thanks for any feedback.

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Vertex
March 12, 2013, 09:16:38 am
Hi Steve,

Any and all tutorials would be very gratefully accepted and appreciated.

I was thinking first to make a vid on how to reorganize the UI

I think this as a first tutorial would be ideal, I played with Nvill for a while but could never understand how to assign hot keys etc, but I think the config file option is the best way to go to start with, (just my opinion as a new user)

• Triangle
March 12, 2013, 11:30:15 am
Hi!
One of NVils advantages is that you can customize a lot, but if I were a beginner I would prefer learning the basics with the default setup, instead of having to use a custom config from the start. Is the config designed to make it easier for beginners? Is it necessary? Then I would wonder, if the current default state of Nvil isn't suited for starters. You said the default config is rather crowded in terms of windows. And if it's not a lot that is customized I would show how to create the buttons or whatever themselves and in addition offer a download to the config.
I would encourage you to make a vid about window setup, as there is some stuff to show like docking, floating, pinning, rearranging, hiding window titles to effecively lock the setup. And if you are using your custom config for starter videos about basic navigation/manipulation, then you could just mention the other vid about window setup and the download link to your config.

I myself have heavily cusomized Nvil and don't even know anymore how the default state looks or how default hotkeys are setup.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 02:39:56 pm
Hi philem,

Any and all tutorials would be very gratefully accepted and appreciated.
Once I have organized myself, so I know correct direction (and found best format for vids etc), I will be making quite a lot of vids.

I played with Nvill for a while but could never understand how to assign hot keys etc,
Hotkeys, radial menu and user windows/buttons would have their own section, as those are reconfiguration options. Reorganizing the UI, well that is really just moving stuff around, trying to have the view a little more organized and not so much stuff showing.

Thanks for the feedback,

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 03:29:56 pm
Is the config designed to make it easier for beginners? Is it necessary?
I cannot really say it would make it easier to learn, or even if it is necessary. Just that the default config shows all 12 windows on the U.I.  By default only (of the opened windows) the "Manipulation" window does not require a scroll bar to see it all.(and that is on a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080)

Then I would wonder, if the current default state of Nvil isn't suited for starters.
I suppose it would depend on the definition of "Starters" as there would be "Starters" who may never of used 3d programmes at all, and do not know what the various functions of the various windows do. There will be "Starters" who have never used NVIL, but know what the various function of the various windows do.
My thought was to move the various windows out of the way, but also have them in easy reach via the user buttons.

You said the default config is rather crowded in terms of windows. And if it's not a lot that is customized I would show how to create the buttons or whatever themselves and in addition offer a download to the config.
Reconfiguration is quite a long topic that would need to be split into several vids, as there is the "Hotkeys" "User windows/buttons" "Radial menu" and "SmartTips". There would then be a need to go into setting up the "Streamline tools engine", but setting the streamline tools engine, you would first need to know what tool functions you are setting up.
So would those be classed as "Starter"?

I would encourage you to make a vid about window setup, as there is some stuff to show like docking, floating, pinning, rearranging, hiding window titles to effecively lock the setup. And if you are using your custom config for starter videos about basic navigation/manipulation, then you could just mention the other vid about window setup and the download link to your config.
As I mentioned, I thought "Drag`n`Drop windows" is something windows users already know, but I will look at that first. But would that not then mean a need of an explanation of what each window is for?

I myself have heavily cusomized Nvil and don't even know anymore how the default state looks or how default hotkeys are setup.
Attached is a screen grab of default U.I. on a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.

You can see:-
[Right hand side]
"Visual tools" (with scroll bar needed)
"Soft selection" + "Math selection" docked together with "soft selection" showing (with scroll bar needed)
"Transform list" + "Light setting" docked together with "Transform list" showing (with scroll bar needed)
[Pinned vertically]
"Scene info" (already shown in HUD)
"Scene explorer" (does not open out far enough to fully show all 3 tabs)
"Material" (opens out too far)
 [Left Hand side]
SmarTips (requires scroll bar when changing to sub_object selection)
[Pinned Vertically)
"Manipulation Input"
"Tool Search"

[Bottom}
"Manipulation" (with enough space in window to nearly show it twice)

So from my point of view, by default the U.I. is busy. (even on screen resolution of 1920x1080)

I will have another think about making a vid for setting the UI first. But the direction that then takes can lead to a need to explain the various windows, and if I was to want to use the UI I showed in first post, a need to show setting user windows/buttons which can lead to setting radial menus etc before even showing how to view navigate.

Thanks for the feedback.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 12, 2013, 08:18:36 pm
Hi steve.
-----------------------
The world statistic:
gs.statcounter*com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201212-201302-bar
screenresolution*org

I did not realize it would be a video or text? For video 1920 x 1080 - this is a huge resolution. For a small detailes you need a software with support zooming during of the record. I found nchsoftware*com/capture/index.html  but not tested.
----------------------
I download a free video from cg.tutsplus*com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/creating-a-next-gen-video-game-hot-rod-the-complete-workflow-day-1

The resolution this video - 1280x720. It looks great on my monitor 1600x900 . I watched with PotPlayer - the great free videoplayer incuded a many codecs.
----------------------

p.s. change * on .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:31:35 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 08:31:53 pm
Hi molebox,

The resolution this video - 1280x720. It looks great on my monitor 1600x900 . I watched with PotPlayer - the great free videoplayer incuded a many codecs.

1280x720 is the HD used by youtube.

Currently I use VLC player

From the stats, it looks like 1280x1024 is average used. (not a good resolution for NVIL)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 12, 2013, 08:41:13 pm
From the stats, it looks like 1280x1024 is average used. (not a good resolution for NVIL)

First show the full screen, tell how to switch between windows using the spacebar. Then use only a one viewport or/and zooming
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 08:48:59 pm

First show the full screen, tell how to switch between windows using the spacebar. Then use only a one viewport or/and zooming

It is not that.
Text can become stretched/blurry when screen resolution is not at correct proportions.
The closest, would be to use the 1280x720, but that makes the "visual tools" window have a scroll bar even with no other windows docked below it. (I do not play well with needing to use scroll bars on a 3d modeling application to see options)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:52:04 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 08:50:02 pm
Another problem that I need to consider, is what "Hotkey style" was chosen on first start of NVIL, as that could be one of 3 different hotkey styles. (3 different Hotkey settings)

Going back to
Is the config designed to make it easier for beginners?
I think I will now state. "It would make it more helpful/logical for me to try and teach".
As it is with defaults and possible different hotkey settings, it will be chaotic and a probable extremely bad headache.
I may have to change my mind about this.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 08:59:01 pm
it really isn't ideal to have all bits open at once anyways. Some panes you will never have to use or use rarely so i keep everything closed but the manipulation panel. and made my self a marking menu, i use the quickly bring up other windows as needed as floating windows.

for reference i use 2 1680x1050 displays.

and yes stats say 1280x1024(aka 17inch 5:4 ratio) is the most popular res, but it is often safe to assume people into 3d got a better display.

as far as youtube goes, any 16:9 ratio above 1280x720 will get you HD, 1080p would prolly be best to record in if you guys got displays that large. but 720p would still be ok, but if doing 720 i would just record in your native resolution, and downsize on render.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:02:12 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 12, 2013, 09:02:24 pm
The closest, would be to use the 1280x720, but that makes the "visual tools" window have a scroll bar even with no other windows docked below it. (I do not play well with needing to use scroll bars on a 3d modeling application to see options)

I swithed on the 1280x720. Yes, the "visual tools" window has a scroll bar when you selection Text, for example. But, if you press on the pin then all options will be on the separate window.

Another problem that I need to consider, is what "Hotkey style" was chosen on first start of NVIL, as that could be one of 3 different hotkey styles. (3 different Hotkey settings)
On default - the right decision, imho. And, in general, may be better not to use hotkeys?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:10:59 pm by molebox »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 12, 2013, 09:14:27 pm
if your not useing hotkeys i would fail to see what is better about nvil, since as far as UI and tools go, max or modo would be much better. it is the streamline tools that are what makes nvil for me atleast.

Also in the future im thinking of doing some tuts for more advanced users that show a whole workflow, so arent purely directed at NVIL, but in which i use nvil a lot. Since i know my config will be different, im just going to provide my config files, and call tools out by name as i use them for the first time. and at the start i will do a overview of any custom tools i use and how to create them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:19:11 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 12, 2013, 09:21:36 pm
if your not useing hotkeys i would fail to see what is better about nvil, since as far as UI and tools go, max or modo would be much better. it is the streamline tools that are what makes nvil for me atleast.

3dsMax, Modo - expensive products. They also have hot keys, but they make little use of video lessons. Perhaps because of the complexity the perception.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:24:01 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 20, 2013, 12:10:00 am
Hi Steve,
I know you working out all the details right now, but when you are done recording.
I highly recommend using Handbrake to reduce the file sizes. Handbrake maintains the quality and automatically converts the file to mp4. I had an Avi that was 687 megs, after I ran it through Handbrake it was just a little over 200 megs. That makes for faster uploading.
The price for Handbrake is great it is free.
If you decide you want to use it let me know and I will give you the settings I use.
Handbrake can be found at http://handbrake.fr/