News:

Topic: The cut tool behavior  (Read 3084 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 22, 2013, 04:19:14 am
Hello everybody, I just want to say that voidworld/nvil is awesome, but I am having a little bit of problem with the cut tool. Every time that I try to cut a quad in half the cut-line suddenly snaps in the middle of the quad and makes an undesired cut. Is this behavior suppose to be like that?
Also, is it possible to make the cut tool work exactly as the program "ZZZZZZzilo"?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 22, 2013, 06:29:58 am
You may have the 'Snap To Polygon Center' option On.

It is not possible to have the cutting behaviour you mentioned. Becuase isolated edge is not supported.

• Triangle
February 22, 2013, 12:15:27 pm
Hi livnolis and welcome!
It seems like the snapping option, IStonia mentioned, is responsible. I just activated it, and get the same result.
Which functionality of the cut tool are you missing, that is in Silo? I just compared the 2 again and to me, the only thing Silo does better is, that it doesn't give you undesired extra conections between the clicked points on a face and the surrounding vertices. In Nvil, to get a similar result, you'd have to select the automatically created edges and hit delete(options), then uncheck the "Remove Closed 2-Edge Vertices" and apply. But the resulting NGon will most likely have a very ugly tesselation or you'll be left with a hole. So you can't get an isolated face within another face, without having any edge connection.
You can cut across multiple components, when clicking the first and then click the desired destination (only on the base mesh, not in higher SubD levels), something Silo can't do. The snapping works with the cut tool (doesn't in Silo). You can continuously cut through the edge midpoints by click&hold on the first component and then drag across edges. You can drag a cutline by clicking outside of the mesh boundaries and constrain the line to N/NW/W/SW/S/SE/E/NE (shift) or to a fixed custom angle (ctrl, using rotation stepping angle). And just like in Silo, when components are already selected, they'll be connected.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:17:24 pm by Vaquero »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 23, 2013, 04:02:25 am
Thanks for the help iStonia and Vaquero. I was doing left-click and dragging to the opposite end of the quad. That is what was causing the snapping in the middle. The correct way is left-click once, DO NOT HOLD the left mouse button, just move the cursor where it needs to be cut.

A tip for everyone new to nvil/voidworld :D

Thanks iStonia and Vaquero.