News:

Topic: Search functions  (Read 6837 times)

• Triangle
August 27, 2012, 05:39:09 pm
Hey!
I had downloaded NVIL to check it out. It came to my attention, when I was taking a look in the silo forums after a really long time. For a product in development I like a lot of the functionality! I hadn't had the time to put it to a practical test yet.

But in the beginning one thing was bugging me: The setup (preferenes, hotkeys, streamlinetools) takes really long. The major issue is that I am constantly searching for specific functionality. And I can't remember where to find it. And there are A LOT of functions. :)
So first, it would be convenient if I could search the hotkey form for tools etc. and it would give me a filtered list, just like the Smarttips do.

The second feature I want to suggest is a total rip-off of a blender feature: There you can press a hotkey/menubutton to bring up a searchfield at the mousecursor. You can begin typing whatever you are looking for and it displays a list with the results instantly while you're typing. You can then click on one of the results (or use arrow keys & Enter) to start the action/tool. This is a life-saver! You don't need to remember where what tool or action was, just search for it and execute. To make it more convenient, display the hotkey beside the list entry for the tools.

Thanks for listening! Good work so far!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 31, 2012, 11:33:06 am
done.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 29, 2012, 01:06:36 pm
a good addition to this tool, is you maybe have a smaller version of it pop up at the mouse location, when a certain key is hit, with the search area already focused.

than way i could just tap a key, start typeing, than hit enter to activate the tool.

blender and houdini both do this.

• Triangle
January 25, 2013, 02:35:36 am
The tool search is missing a horizontal scrollbar for the results listed. Often the name/path doesn't fit the window, if you don't want to have it on half your screen.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 25, 2013, 10:22:43 am
Added.