News:

Topic: Quixel and .obj  (Read 4220 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 08, 2015, 10:47:43 pm
Hey there :)

I was wondering if anyone has opened a .obj, saved out from Nvil, in Quixel?

I've downloaded the free version to have a play around with it, so this might be simply down to using an old version, but I can't get even a simple mesh to appear in Quixel - such as a sphere.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Cheers

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 09, 2015, 03:59:14 am
Can you show us two obj files of a simple box, one from NVil and the other one can be imported into Quixel without problem?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 09, 2015, 07:59:45 pm
Sure.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 09, 2015, 08:07:50 pm
I don't know whether this helps you or not, but I saved out another object, orginally made in Maya, through Nvil - free version - and it came out like this in Quixel:

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 10, 2015, 10:54:40 am
If you open the obj file in a text editor, you can see there is no vertex normal info in the NVil obj file, "vn ...". Try enable this and see if that's the problem.
Edit > Options > File Format Options > obj > Export vertex normals.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 10, 2015, 10:32:57 pm
I've turned on 'Export Vertex Normals' now when I export an object.

I found that triangulating a model seems to fix the problem on meshes made in other software.

For some reason I've become obsessed with this box now. If I create the box in Nvil, triangulate it and export as a .obj Quixel refuses to render it.

However if i take the same box - made in Nvil - and import it into Silo or Blender, then export it again as a .obj it renders in Quixel.

The wierd this is, if I open the .obj, exported from Silo/Blender, back into Nvil and export it again.... it renders. 

;D omg what am I doing?!

Anyway, I've included the obj's lol. I guess it's not that important but it is a bit strange.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2015, 05:50:15 am
Try this to remove any hard edges before exporting.

Go to  edge mode
Select all edges of the model.
Geometry > Soften.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 13, 2015, 08:30:32 pm
Still doesn't render I'm afraid in Quixel.

The same model renders no problem in Marmoset though - no need to triangulate either.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 13, 2015, 09:00:44 pm
In your NVil_Silo_Nvil_box.obj and NVil_Blender_Nvil_box.obj, the sharp edges are removed. That's why I suggested you to remove sharp edges before exporting.

Does Quixel has a forum where you can find some information?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 14, 2015, 05:56:07 am
The wierd this is, if I open the .obj, exported from Silo/Blender, back into Nvil and export it again.... it renders. 

;D omg what am I doing?!

Anyway, I've included the obj's lol. I guess it's not that important but it is a bit strange.

Looks like hard_edge's need to be removed, and one smooth group applied.

Before you export from Voidworld/Nvil. Select all polygons on model > Visual tools > Smooth group > Smooth all.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 14, 2015, 05:00:54 pm
Applying a single Smoothing Group to the box doesn't seem to make any difference unfortunately.

Have you tried it in Quixel and got it working?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 14, 2015, 06:03:07 pm
Applying a single Smoothing Group to the box doesn't seem to make any difference unfortunately.

I have installed to check.

I am not seeing a problem.

On importing mesh into Quixel, it does state it need's to be an .obj(file) and triangulated. Multiple groups are allowed.
I exported a box (UV mapped and triangulated) from Voidworld (Nvil free version), and it shows within Quixel viewer.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
February 15, 2015, 08:27:34 pm

I have installed to check.

I am not seeing a problem.

On importing mesh into Quixel, it does state it need's to be an .obj(file) and triangulated. Multiple groups are allowed.
I exported a box (UV mapped and triangulated) from Voidworld (Nvil free version), and it shows within Quixel viewer.

No idea then. I've done all of those things and it doesn't work for me. I'm probably just missing something. Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:10:37 pm by Baaaah! »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 17, 2015, 09:00:58 am
Someone just told me that he has two license of Quixel. Maybe you two use different versions of Quixel.