News:

Topic: Several general questions  (Read 22801 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 08:02:44 pm

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 08:07:20 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

Make sure you have all clip planes set to "Auto" and make sure you have set the "Auto settings" back to default. (Defaults are "Near plane scale" = 0.1", "Far Plane scale" = 100)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 08:23:01 pm
Ah, you're right. It was near and far clipping planes. Thanks!
I hope there won't be any more surprises. ::)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 06, 2013, 08:43:37 pm
It was near and far clipping planes.
It is now better to leave the clip plane settings to defaults. If you then get used to using the "Focus" functions, you should be OK.
I hope there won't be any more surprises. ::)
::)  ;D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2013, 01:08:12 pm
Near clipping = 0.1, Far clipping = 100. I'm using "Set View Focusing Point" and "Frame View".
And I still have serious problems with clipping in orthographic views! Especially with long objects like walls, pipes, etc.

Why do I have to run those commands anyway? I don't have to do it in other programs (save object framing), in which I never experience clipping unless I deliberately force it by adjusting clipping values or moving orthographic cameras.

Also, with far clipping of 100, wireframes from the back of the model tend to pop out if I zoom out a little bit.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2013, 01:28:40 pm
And I still have serious problems with clipping in orthographic views! Especially with long objects like walls, pipes, etc.
That is probably due to your "Scene scale". Nvil calculates clipping planes using scene scale, so if objects become large without the scene scale changing, it can cause issue.
I have brought up problems related to scene scale before (and seen other problems but not reported on forum). From what I see, incorrect scene scale can make a mess of various functions.

Try changing to auto scene scale (View-> Auto scene scale enabled). See if that helps.

I do have to admit, the way the "Scene scale" and "clipping planes" work, I find are a PITA.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2013, 01:39:20 pm
Steve, I already tried this - both: the automatic scale and manual scale. It doesn't seem to have any impact on the clipping. At least in my current scene, which is roughly 3.1 x 2.3 x 4.7 (XYZ) meters in size.

This issue seriously hinders my productivity, because instead of modelling I constantly have to fight the clipping.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2013, 03:57:38 pm
As I mentioned, it is a PITA.
Put in a bug report, hopefully IStonia will have a look and make better implementation.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2013, 05:42:39 pm
Good idea.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 13, 2013, 01:43:20 am
I was looking more at the views. The more I look, the less I like.

I gave up building a large model in Nvil (the office block I started a WIP for) some time ago, due to problems with the views. I did e-mail IStonia about it, but he said he could do nothing about it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 13, 2013, 02:01:34 am
Steve, and I was wondering why there where no updates of your building... Now it's clear to me that this clipping issue is a huge one. I'll have to switch to Blender to complete my current scene because it's impossible to do it with NVil. Not when I cannot perform basic selection tasks in orthographic views.
I really hope IStonia will find a solution to this problem, because I really like to work in NVil and in every other aspect I find it superior to other modelling software.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 25, 2013, 01:40:04 pm
Hello.
Is there a way of selecting all border edges of an object with a single command?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 26, 2013, 12:26:32 am
go to face mode, select whole object by double clicking it, than from the "selection" menu "hit edges on selection border"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 26, 2013, 09:41:05 am
Open Edges.

With the object(s) selected, change to edge mode:- Selection[dropdown menu]-> Open Edges

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 26, 2013, 12:42:22 pm
Thank you guys!