News:

Topic: Reversed side views?  (Read 2699 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2014, 02:34:51 pm
Why is the Left View called Right View and Right View is called Left View?
If I choose Right View, I'm looking at object's left side (at -X). And vice versa. Is there some setting I accidentally could have changed, or is it a bug?

• No avatar
  • Spline
October 06, 2014, 03:27:08 pm
I have seen this topic discussed since I do 3D. The way Nvil displays view corresponds the way CAD programs
deal with this and here users can be extremely nitpicky about perspective, projection and conventions.
In a right view you are looking at the objects left side but you are looking to the right side.
So the underlying convention is not "from", but "to".

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2014, 05:04:52 pm
I just checked an older version (2013-Dec-17) and side views are swapped there too. So you're probably right.

But if this is the case, then why isn't Front called Back and Top - Bottom? Only side views are reversed.

• No avatar
  • Spline
October 07, 2014, 10:31:05 am
This convention has long seemed unintuitive to me as well.  In fact, it actually comes from an international technical drawing standard (read about it on the following wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-angle_projection .  Other 3d software applications you're likely to use operate the same way, including 3ds Max, Blender, most any CAD you can think of, etc.