News:

Topic: Workplane  (Read 7537 times)

• Polygon
October 02, 2017, 08:15:41 pm
I'm coming across some workplane weirdness in Oct 3.

I'm planning to use just the workplane for all my work, I think it would speed things up for me rather than switching from World space to Workplane Space.

The issues I am having is:

Step 1:
I align the workplane to a polygon selection.
I then go to top, right, front ortho views and everything works as expected.

Step 2:
I then use Workplane Tools >> Align workplane to World YZ$ and that works fine.
I then go to the top, right, front ortho views and it still shows the views of Step 1 rather than Step 2 ?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:41:43 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 02, 2017, 09:41:20 pm
An issue you raised before:-

http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,4130.0.html

Create composite tools to change workplane + update workplane space.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:32:20 pm by steve »

• Polygon
October 02, 2017, 11:55:36 pm
Thanks Steve

I forgot I already raised it before and that everytime you move the workplane you have to set the workplane space active again.

As suggested, I'll create a composite tool to align the workplane with World XYZ axis and have it rotate freely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:43:21 am by kevjon »

• Polygon
October 03, 2017, 09:00:52 am
I have created my composite tool so workplane rotates freely on the world XYZ axis. The intent is that this would be used instead of switching to world view. So that part is all good.

The next problem I have is that when that workplane is active (capital WP) its
- Top view of workplane space is the bottom view of world space
- Front view of workplane space is top view of world space
- Right view of workplane space is bottom view of world space ?

Its all really bizarre stuff, I think I will leave it alone for the time being and stick to using the workplane for modelling stuff that is on odd angles.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 09:41:41 am
There is this option
View > Use World Space Navigation (Selected).

Can you revisit your this thread again. It may help to clear things.
http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,4130.msg15653.html#msg15653

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 10:30:35 am
Hi Kevjon,

- Top view of workplane space is the bottom view of world space
- Front view of workplane space is top view of world space
- Right view of workplane space is bottom view of world space ?

Its all really bizarre stuff,

The view in the viewports will depend on which camera for that viewport you have set.

There are 4 viewports, but each viewport has multiple cameras.
Switch to "Viewport layout >> Four Views" and make sure the cameras are set correct to viewport.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 12:48:27 pm
Hi IStonia,

There is this option
View > Use World Space Navigation (Selected).

I have a composite tool to reset the 4 viewport cameras, but for "Use World Space Navigation (Selected)" flag, I see no way to detect if it is active or not.
Is it possible to have "Use World Space Navigation (Selected)" as a detectable toggle, or have a state function "Is Use World Space Navigation (Selected)", so I can add composite tool for detection/change

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 01:22:46 pm

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 01:46:37 pm
The tool now has a flag.

Working. Thank you.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 03, 2017, 01:57:25 pm
Its all really bizarre stuff,

Attached a composite tool that should help.

It is currently made for 4 views, so edit as needed.

Load composite tool and add hotkey/button to "Reset 4 views". The other composite tool "Navigation_test" is just a composite tool called from "Reset 4 views".

What it does is to select each viewport in turn, set a camera for that viewport, and disable the "Use World Navigation(Selection)" flag for the viewport. It is a general viewport reset tool. (you may also want to add to the end of the "Reset 4 views" composite the command "Viewport Layout >> Reset Layout" if you want the scaling(size) of the viewports reset.

Just ask if any problems/issues.

----------------
My spelling is getting very bad, not sure if I should blame old age or bad eyesight or ??

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:31:41 pm by steve »

• Polygon
October 04, 2017, 07:35:56 am
Steve and Istonia, thanks for all the help and additional input on this.

I tried out the reset 4 view and it works well, so that is a useful tool to have to reset all the viewports after you've been mucking around with them.

This isn't a big deal so please don't put too much time into it unless your curious to understand what I am on about in the latter part of this thread.

What I want to do is not have to switch between world space and workplane space. I was trying to find a way to use just workplane space for all my modelling whether I am modelling on the normal XYZ axis or at some odd workplane angle.

If you want to see what the issue is:
- Load up a model in a scene & set all 4 viewports to world navigation space.
- Use steve's composite tool "reset 4 views" so the 4 views are Top, Right, Front, Custom. (World Space)
- Use the tool Workplane Tools >> Align Workplane to World ZX$
- Unlock the workplane (so it rotates freely on the XYZ axis) with Workplane Tools >> Lock/Unlock Workplane$
- Use the tool View Navigation Tools >> Set Navigation Space (Workplane)$

(Now Top, Right, Front & Custom should have the capital WP)

When you now look at the ortho viewport Top it is the front view of your model but upside down
When you now look at the ortho viewport Right it is the right view of the model rotated 90°
When you now look at the ortho viewport Front it is the Top view of the model

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:39:05 am by kevjon »

• Polygon
October 04, 2017, 07:43:04 am
Further to this I also came across some workplane bugs (at least on my setup).

If I set the workplane to align with the World ZX axis and lock the workplane. When I try to set navigation space to workplane it does not work.

If I set the workplane to align with the World ZX axis and unlock it. I cannot set navigation space to workplane when it is rotated on the ZX axis, however if I rotate my viewport so the workplane freely rotates onto the XY or YZ axis I can set my navigation space to workplane.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2017, 09:11:51 am
Steve and Istonia, thanks for all the help and additional input on this.

I tried out the reset 4 view and it works well, so that is a useful tool to have to reset all the viewports after you've been mucking around with them.

This isn't a big deal so please don't put too much time into it unless your curious to understand what I am on about in the latter part of this thread.

What I want to do is not have to switch between world space and workplane space. I was trying to find a way to use just workplane space for all my modelling whether I am modelling on the normal XYZ axis or at some odd workplane angle.

If you want to see what the issue is:
- Load up a model in a scene & set all 4 viewports to world navigation space.
- Use steve's composite tool "reset 4 views" so the 4 views are Top, Right, Front, Custom. (World Space)
- Use the tool Workplane Tools >> Align Workplane to World ZX$
- Unlock the workplane (so it rotates freely on the XYZ axis) with Workplane Tools >> Lock/Unlock Workplane$
- Use the tool View Navigation Tools >> Set Navigation Space (Workplane)$

(Now Top, Right, Front & Custom should have the capital WP)

When you now look at the ortho viewport Top it is the front view of your model but upside down
When you now look at the ortho viewport Right it is the right view of the model rotated 90°
When you now look at the ortho viewport Front it is the Top view of the model

Kevin, please answer me this question.
You want the perspective view in workplane space and orthographic view in world space, right?

Also please check out this old thread
http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,3978.msg15366.html#msg15366
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:16:09 am by IStonia »

• Polygon
October 04, 2017, 10:49:38 am

Kevin, please answer me this question.
You want the perspective view in workplane space and orthographic view in world space, right?

Also please check out this old thread
http://samardac.com/nvil-forum//index.php/topic,3978.msg15366.html#msg15366

Yep, which I can achieve with the excellent functionality you've already provided in the attached thread.

I'll write a composite tool to automate that process for myself using Steves reset 4 views as a guide.

My questions above were about the odd behaviour of the workplane ortho views compared to world ortho views.
If I align the workplane to World ZX axis, I would expect the top ortho view of the workplane to match the top ortho view of world space but it doesn't.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:55:40 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 04, 2017, 11:03:09 am
I am confused. Since you were using steve's composite tool, possibly he can explain well.