News:

Topic: Toggle Snaps Off Temporary Command And Radial Menu Create Camera  (Read 3883 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 29, 2014, 05:08:34 pm
Two simple requests (hopefully) today. 

1.  I've read other threads on the subject here, but I'd like a very quick way to temporarily disable Snaps while attempting to use Steppings (since Steppings don't work if Snaps are enabled.. which still occasionally trips me up after months of trying to get used to the fact).  A bindable event for "Toggle Snaps Off Temporary" would allow me to bind the Shift key (also assigned to Enable Steppings) so that, regardless of whether or not I'm working in a scene with Snaps enabled, Steppings will work when I want to use them.  While you're in there, you might as well add a "Toggle Snaps On Temporary" function as well.

2.  I've been spending lots of time customising my radial menus today (a feature I haven't really used since I come from Max instead of Maya) and I've created a menu, accessible in "All Modes", for Camera-related functions.  One of the Object Mode commands that I've included is "Create Camera".  Currently if I invoke this command from the radial menu when I'm in a subobject mode, nothing happens.  Would it instead be possible for this command to automatically switch me to Object Mode and then execute when selected?  Some other commands already work this way... for example, I can run the Object Mode command "Measure" from a subobject mode without issue.  If for any reason this isn't a good idea, let me know... I don't want to request features that'll mess with the program for what amounts to a minor convenience.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 30, 2014, 10:23:48 am
1. A similar request has been made sometime ago. The current implementation is if stepping is enabled, snapping will be seen as disabled. Your request is the other way around. It is impossible to have the two behavior at the same time.
Temporary snapping toggle is available already. Edit > Customize > Tools > Snapping Options > Enable Snapping Toggle Temporary. You just need to sign a hotkey.

2. It works now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 30, 2014, 11:08:19 am
The current implementation is if stepping is enabled, snapping will be seen as disabled.
The current implementation is:- If any snapping is enabled, "Move" stepping will not function.

Your request is the other way around. It is impossible to have the two behavior at the same time.
The request made, is for an option to "Temporarily turn off snapping".
Temporary snapping toggle is available already. Edit > Customize > Tools > Snapping Options > Enable Snapping Toggle Temporary. You just need to sign a hotkey.
That option is not useful, as you need to first check if any snapping options are on or off. What is being requested is a way to ensure snapping is disabled(without having to visually check snapping options first) so stepping will function.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:55:12 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 30, 2014, 12:32:41 pm
(Everything Steve said...)

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.  Steve has restated it perfectly.  Though, I do think that the current option to "Enable Snapping Toggle Temporary" is useful, so please don't get rid of that.  I have a 5-button mouse, but the extra two can't be mapped to X1 and X2 in NVIL, so I use the "\" key (which is located next to L-Shift) on my English (UK) keyboard as my "Enable Snapping Toggle Temporary".  However, as Steve correctly pointed out: "What is being requested is a way to ensure snapping is disabled(without having to visually check snapping options first) so stepping will function."  Because sometimes I want to leave snapping globally enabled, and sometime I want it to be globally disabled... but I definitely want it temporarily OFF whenever I hold down the L-Shift key to perform a "Move" Stepping operation.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:45:59 pm by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 31, 2014, 11:58:40 am
The 'turn off snapping temporary' feature is added. I also make the snapping automatically off if the stepping option "Enabled by Shift key down" is checked and the hotkey is pressed.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 31, 2014, 01:46:07 pm
The 'turn off snapping temporary' feature is added. I also make the snapping automatically off if the stepping option "Enabled by Shift key down" is checked and the hotkey is pressed.

Thanks - this is a big help.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 01, 2014, 03:58:00 pm
I also make the snapping automatically off if the stepping option "Enabled by Shift key down" is checked and the hotkey is pressed.

So you changed it back to how it used to be.

Thanks.