News:

Topic: Selection question  (Read 4790 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 18, 2014, 03:42:14 pm
How to make this kind of selection? The fastest way?
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 18, 2014, 05:05:24 pm
use  Polygon_Rangeloop_select or Polygon_Gaploop_select in a streamline tool. 

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 18, 2014, 05:41:00 pm
Mason, looks like process is very long... Or I do not know something?
I need something with this logic:

• Triangle
March 18, 2014, 06:10:48 pm
NVil can do that very quickly!
  • Gap loop: MMB first polygon then double LMB second polygon. (Leave a gap.)
  • Expand loop: Move the cursor to highlight a grow indication polygon, then in your case hold MMB and then press LMB to execute gap expanding. You could again leave a gap if you wanted another pattern or select a range with holding LMB and then pressing MMB

• No avatar
  • Triangle
March 18, 2014, 06:25:56 pm

• No avatar
  • Triangle
March 18, 2014, 06:44:16 pm
Bug?

• Triangle
March 18, 2014, 07:29:30 pm
I was also puzzled as to why loop select won't work wheras "single step grow loop" does.
Here's a visual representation of the process I described above:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:32:59 pm by Vaquero »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 18, 2014, 09:38:51 pm
NVil can do that very quickly!
  • Gap loop: MMB first polygon then double LMB second polygon. (Leave a gap.)
  • Expand loop: Move the cursor to highlight a grow indication polygon, then in your case hold MMB and then press LMB to execute gap expanding. You could again leave a gap if you wanted another pattern or select a range with holding LMB and then pressing MMB

Just brilliant!  something new I learned.   :D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 19, 2014, 02:33:36 am
Just brilliant!  something new I learned.

That information is in the help file. "Help > Contents > Modeling > Selection Tools"

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 19, 2014, 08:35:47 am
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:35:49 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
March 19, 2014, 12:13:59 pm
Спасибо.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 19, 2014, 12:48:55 pm
Thanks! This is nice. Is the same thing also possible with some G-key-combo?

What I find limiting in the demonstrated way is, that one needs to be used to drive LMB and MMB with different fingers. Who actually does this? I always use the forefinger for both LMB and MMB (mice are too narrow for comfortable placement of 3 fingers and most programs don't need LMB and MMB at the same time anyway). If I wanted to select this way I really had to decide to hold my mouse in an unusual way.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 19, 2014, 01:35:49 pm
Gap Loop can be made into a streamline and works just fine.

Coming from Maya, i am used to the lmb+mmb combo.  Its actually one of the features I like about Nvil, because  "tool option/modes"  are hotkeyed as well.  This makes for a very fast UI that no other app comes close to competing with.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 19, 2014, 02:30:01 pm
Coming from Maya, i am used to the lmb+mmb combo.  Its actually one of the features I like about Nvil, because  "tool option/modes"  are hotkeyed as well.  This makes for a very fast UI that no other app comes close to competing with.
Hehe, this sounds like a perfect marketing quote for the product website!
Unfortunately I seem not to have compatible fingers (and I already own one of the larger mice one can buy).
Gap Loop can be made into a streamline and works just fine.
Well, that's what the G-key is for, it with its rubber-band just gives a somewhat different GUI for
the function. Gap looping is easy that way but I fail doing the second step: Make a loop selection from an existing loop selection.

• Triangle
March 19, 2014, 03:08:24 pm
What I find limiting in the demonstrated way is, that one needs to be used to drive LMB and MMB with different fingers. Who actually does this? I always use the forefinger for both LMB and MMB (mice are too narrow for comfortable placement of 3 fingers and most programs don't need LMB and MMB at the same time anyway). If I wanted to select this way I really had to decide to hold my mouse in an unusual way.

Agreed. I also feel uncomfortable when doing this selection. Almost like getting cramps.