News:

Topic: Memory usage (Fixed)  (Read 8208 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 15, 2012, 11:39:47 pm
Hi IStonia

I thought I would post this here, maybe wishful thinking that it is a bug and not an underlying limitation/problem.

The problem:-

I have a relatively small model, just a number of cylinders joined together. Total polygons 63,232.
I needed to add a number of "loop inserts" but found during the process, error:- system.OutOfMemoryException

To recheck, I restarted/reloaded and checked current memory use, which was approx 380 MB:-

I then started to add the "Loop inserts", on the 5th loop insert, the error popup, and checking, did find that NVIL had hit the soft memory limit of approx 1.3 GB [ Please note: My current "Undo level" is set to 3, the lowest I can set it]

I made a further recheck, and enabled LAA(Large Address Aware) for NVIL. I did manage to add the 14 sets of loop inserts I needed, but NVIL required approx 1.72GB of memory to complete that process. The memory use then did drop back down to approx 700 MB.

Also during the process of adding the loop inserts (before and after enabling LAA), I found that the screen would flicker (as if the vid card was being reset). Also, one of my floating custom toolbars would disappear then return. What was also strange, was that the keyboard toolbar(the EN shown in the windows system tray), also kept disappearing and returning.

IMHO, that is an excessive amount of memory being used (considering the edit being made), and also appears to be causing other issues.

If you want the model to check, I will e-mail it to you.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:13:51 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 16, 2012, 03:22:16 am
It seems the program may have tried to allocate excessive memory for the operation.

Can you send me the model, a full copy of the error message, and the exact operation you performed on the model so I can reproduce.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 16, 2012, 04:11:09 am
Model / info sent.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 17, 2012, 01:25:55 pm
There were bugs in memory allocating. Should be much better now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 17, 2012, 02:09:03 pm
I am happy it was a bug, and even more happy you have found and fixed it.
Much better now with memory usage.;D

It also appears to of fixed the other related problems I mentioned.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

-Steve