News:

Topic: Spline Extrude (Fixed)  (Read 8360 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 14, 2012, 11:45:19 am
Looking at the default streamline tool settings, there is an entry for "Extrude-> SplineVertex_ A", although there are no streamline tools/actions/commands set for that entry. On looking through the strealine tools to set, the spline extrude are in the "Generic tools", rather than them being where I thought they should be in "Spline vertex tools".
On setting any of the [streamline]"spline extrude" to the "Extrude-> SplineVertex_ A", on use, they crash Nvil.
I attempted to delete the "Extrude-> SplineVertex_ A", but it appears to be hard_coded, so created another entry, but it will not allow me to call it "Extrude".
I created another entry and set type to "Generic"(as the streamline tools for the spline extrude are shown under that type), but still after setting that up, Nvil still crashes when trying to use those tools.

I did at one time have this[spline extrude] set up, although it was a pain then to get it to work without crashing. But now cannot set it up at all.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:24:21 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 14, 2012, 12:06:11 pm
I had a look through the stored config "StramLineToolSettings_NV.xml", and the Generic extrude tools for the spline appear to be set. So it looks like an internal problem rather than a user configuration problem.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 14, 2012, 11:39:10 pm
The 'Spline_Extrude' is a mesh tool which creates a mesh from a spline. The crashing bug is fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 15, 2012, 12:00:04 am
The 'Spline_Extrude' is a mesh tool which creates a mesh from a spline.

I know what it does. What I was referring to, was the fact that the spline_extrude have been placed under the streamline "generic" tools:-

The crashing bug is fixed.

Thank you.

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 15, 2012, 12:04:25 am
That means you can activate this tool in all modes as long as the spline is selected.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 15, 2012, 12:11:33 am
But in the Streamline engine tools, you have set the spline vertex extrude to type" SplineVertex", so using that default, you can only activate while in vertex selection.
Why is that there, when no tools are active for that spline extrude? There is no way to edit the "Type" for that tool, so another entry needs to be made if I want to use it on a spline without having to go into vertex selection mode.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 15, 2012, 01:39:00 am
The default streamline 'Extrude' tool is a subobject toolset that includes all subobject type tools. That's why 'SplineVertex' type tool is there. It doesn't matter if a sub tool is empty. Because they all share the same hotkey.

You can assign the 'Spline_Extrude' to 'Extude -> SplineVertex' if you like. If you want to assign it to an object type sub tool, you can change 'Extrude' tool's name to 'Extude_Old' or something else, then create a generic toolset and name it 'Extrude' then use the 'Copy/Past' feature to move those settings from 'Extrude_Old' to your new 'Extrude' tool. As for the 'Extrude_Old' tool, you use it for something else, since its name and settings are all customizable.

The 'Spline_Extrude' tool was added long after the existence of default 'Extrude' tool, so it maybe too late to change the default 'Extrude' tool to a generic toolset as many users may have been using it in this way. I you think it is a good idea to change it to a generic toolset, I will see if I can do it without interupting any user settings. But that way you may end up having two empty subtools for 'SplineVertex' and 'Mesh'.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 15, 2012, 01:56:27 am
No need to make any changes.

I am just getting around to customization, so was just trying to understand the reason for that entry.

Regards,

-Steve