News:

Topic: Slide edge (not a bug)  (Read 8036 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 04:06:27 pm
Hello,

When sliding a vertex or edge, the edge(s) being slid along should remain stationary, but they are moving.

Quick example with a cube:-

High-lighted edge being moved in direction of red arrow along the 2 edges shown with blue arrows. Those 2 edges shown with blue arrows should remain stationary.

After using any of the slide commands the 2 edges that should of remained stationary have moved.

[I have duplicated the cube so you can see the error]

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:50:17 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 08:51:38 pm
The slide tool you used is for organic purpose.

There is a way. Turn on Edit > Options > Vertex Transform Along Edges. Then use the move manipulator. If you have two or more edges selected, you also use the rotate/scale manipulator. Don't forget to turn off this option afterwards.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 09:36:13 pm
ya if your familiar with max steve, "Vertex Transform Along Edges", works identical to using edge constraints in max.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 09:43:47 pm
The slide tool you used is for organic purpose.

I have not come across an "Organic slide". I will have to search for some info.

Thanks,

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 09:49:23 pm
ya if your familiar with max steve, "Vertex Transform Along Edges", works identical to using edge constraints in max.

I do not have a lot of experience with poly modelers. I normally model with nurbs (rhino / solidworks etc). The poly modelers I have used, the "Slide" is always edge constraint.
The last time I used max, it was still called 3d studio (good old DOS days lol).
Is there an "organic slide" in MAX? (I will have to check it out).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 08, 2012, 10:28:28 pm
OK, I understand it now. It is sliding along a calculated spline.

Regards,

-Steve