News:

Topic: [Fixed] Line_List + Slide/extrude  (Read 3014 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 13, 2015, 07:49:34 am
Hi IStonia,

I have been seeing some problems when using splines created as "Line List". It appears to be a general problem that affects functions such as "Slide", "Extrude along Spline", "Lathe".

Simple examples:-

I want to "Extrude Polygons along Spline".
I have the object for extrusion, and create "Line List" Spline.

Select the top faces of the object,  "Extude > Snap to Spline > MMB select spline"
The extrsion produced is incorect, as it extrudes as if the spline was smooth.

If I select the "Line List" spline > Naturalize all > Toggle Type, making same extrusion is then correct.

-----------------------------------

Example using line_list spline for profile/path > Slide.

Create simple 4 sided line_list spline for profile, and line_list spline for path.

Select 4 sided spline and "Slide" along Path.
The result looks correct,......

However, when checking polycount on (slide) mesh, there are too many polygons. Should be 16 on that example, but it shows 20.

On checking further, there are "Edges in empty faces", deleting some of the polygons on mesh shows them:-

If on that example, I was to "naturalize > toggle type" both the splines before slide, the result would be correct.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have simply been creating the splines as "natural", then using "toggle type" when I want the segmented type results, but due to another post on forum, I though I should report this problem.

Could you please check when you can find time?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:29:49 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 18, 2015, 09:21:01 am
Fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 18, 2015, 11:27:36 am
Hi IStonia,

There is a minor change, but the main issue's are still there.

From the first example above. You have made a change, and the extrude does now extrude to each spline vertex, however, the line_list spline is still not treated as a line_list spline.

Example:-
As above, I have a simple object for extrusion, and created a line_list spline.

Select the top polygons of the object and "Extrude > Snap to spline" MMB the spline.
As you can see. The extrusion does extrude to each spline vertex, but there is no alignment to the spline vertex, and no scaling at line_list corners.

Another example. Simple line_list spline drawn as a square.

Use spline_vertex "Slide > Tube", again, the result is incorrect.

From the second example I posted above:-

Simple 4 segment (square) line_list spline(for profile). Simple line_list spline for "Path"

Slide "profile" along "path". The orientation(in this example) looks OK, but there is still no scaling at line_list corners.

On checking the mesh, again, extra faces have been created. Have removed some faces to show.

-------------------------------------

From what I am seeing with this, is that when you made changes to the spline creation tool, you added the ability to create a mix of smooth/line_list. However, the line_list corners are not being treated as line_list.
I get similar issues when creating splines with the MMB/RMB options. If for example, the spline is created with some vertex as tangent_cusp, there is no correct calculation (when making slide) for orientation/scaling at those tangent_cusp vertex.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 23, 2015, 05:41:22 pm
Hi IStonia,

Big improvement.

Couple of issues for you to look at when you have time.
When creating a "Spline > Line" closed, if the start/end of the spline is on cusp, the alignment is incorrect.
Simple 4 sided closed "spline > line".

When "Vertex spline > Slide > Tube" is used on that spline, the result shows the problem at the start/end of spline.

On checking alignment/scaling on Splines made with LMB/MMB/RMB, the results are very good, apart from the start/end if (again) the start/end is on cusp.

Spline created with MMB/RMB options:-

Result of Slide > Tube":-
The section at the start/end cusp is incorrect, although the segments added do follow the tangency correctly.

------------------------------------

Another issue I thought I should bring up.

When creating an open "spline > line" and snapping to geometry, there is a problem with the last spline vertex created.

3 simple box with "spline > line" created snapping to box faces.

On adding "Spline > Tube" to that spline, the result is twisted.

Now of course, the reason for the twisting is due to the tangency/flow of the spline at that end vertex. However, trying to manually edit that last spline vertex flow is problematic, as it is locked (the other 2 spline vertex flow are not locked) and will not reset. The only way to correct is to either reset all the spline flow, or naturalize that spline vertex.
There are of course various other ways to create that spline, but if you could please find time to see if anything can be done to make the flow alignment correct when spline created, or at least stop it being locked, it would help.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:44:27 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 24, 2015, 01:36:30 am
Should be fixed now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 24, 2015, 06:46:19 am
Hi IStonia,

With a closed "Spline > line" where the start/end is on cusp(corner), the orientation is now correct, but the scaling is incorrect for the "Tube".

4 corner "Spline > line"

Result showing incorrect scaling at corner intersections.

----------------------------------------

Minor issue:-

There as been a long standing (minor) issue with the segment count for the "Slide".

For "segmentA"(number of segments around the profile), it always produces a segment count of "display value" + 2.

SegmentA set to 1, segments created = 3

SegmentA set to 16, segments created = 18

As I stated, that is a minor issue, but does still catch me out at times. The reason I mention it here, is the fact that with the changes made, the "SegmentB" count can also now be confusing.

As a simple example.

I have a spline created with mix of "line" and "Smooth". I add a "Slide > Tube" to that spline and set "SegmentB" to 1. The result is as expected.

Increase "SegmentB" count to 32, but the segments created are only 14

If I was to increase "SegementB" to 512, the segments created are 227.

So I was hoping you could please take a look when you can find time, to see if you can get a correct count as to the number of segments input, to the number of segments created.

--------------------------------
A request while here.

Curently, for "Slide", the "SegmentsA" and "SegemntsB" are locked to a maximum of 1000. For "SegmentsA"(segments around profile) I find that OK. But for "SegmentB"(segments along Path), that can be restrictive at times, and hope you may be able to increase that number if possible.

Thanks,

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 25, 2015, 10:11:45 am
Hi IStonia,

Looking very good now. Many thanks.

I see you have now changed the top limit for the "Slide" segments, from 1000 to 10000, which is excellent.
 In the ("slide") input window for "Segments", before this last change, I could LMB+drag (in the small window next to segment count) and change the segemnt count between 1 and 1000. But now, I can only LMB+drag (in that little window) between a count of 1 to 200.
For me that is not an issue, as I can type input value, or click up/down arrow(next to input value) or even LMB in value window and use MWB up/down. But others may think that there is a limit of 200 for segments. Would it not of been better to of at least left the LMB+Drag to change the value betweem 1 and 1000?

To add,
I see you have also changed the segment limit on other functions, and limits on segments for primitives. All now can go up to 10,000. Very nice. Thank you.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:01:19 pm by steve »