News:

Topic: Booleans and object mode  (Read 2277 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 23, 2015, 03:38:37 pm
I'm trying to do some boolean operations, but they don't work. Could it be that it's because I have disabled mesh and bone modes with "Hide mesh and bone mode UI"? Is it not possible to perform booleans in object mode?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 23, 2015, 10:00:25 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

Although boolean function are a "Mesh" tool/function, hiding "mesh and bone mode UI" in itself should not cause issue. The Boolean function (Mesh shortcut Tools > Boolean) can be called while in any mode.

I presume you are seeing the Boolean popup UI?

It is probably just a case of the boolean function failing. The booleans in Nvil do not work well.

I have posted several times (including bug reports) concerning boolean operations in Nvil, but any fix made is usually very specific to an example shown, but does not fix the core problem of boolean failures.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 24, 2015, 01:14:20 am
Yeah, I had the boolean window visible. I was trying to union two long boxes (without upper and bottom sides) in object mode, but it didn't work. I ended up stitching them manually.
Remembering some of your posts about booleans I tried to avoid them and did this kind of operations with cookies in Houdini. This was probably my first attempt with them in NVil.

P.S. I think I know why it failed. The top and bottom edges of one box were at the same height as corresponding edges of the second box. Same with bottom edges. I moved one box a little bit on negative Y and the booleans worked. Oh, I also had to close both boxes. I guess NVil's booleans don't like open geo.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 24, 2015, 02:04:21 am
Booleans in Nvil will not complete when there are co-planer (as you have found). Will also fail if complex n-gons will be produced.(and various other issues)

Booleans are too complex, that is why I stopped making bug reports about them, and now use other application for booleans. But even that other application uses 3rd party boolean library LOL.