News:

Topic: circularise improvements (examples) Updated!  (Read 5661 times)

• Edge
April 25, 2013, 04:24:50 pm
Hey guys,

I'm finding myself using the Circularise streamline tool a lot, but find it lacking in certain situations. Now I wasn't sure if it was even possible to get better results, but then I found this:
http://maxfoxlab.com/mx_roundish.html
which seems to have hit all of my points of criticism, and even introduces a few options I hadn't thought of.

Istonia, is this something you can improve?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:56:15 pm by mightypea »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 06, 2013, 11:11:27 am
done.

• Edge
May 15, 2013, 05:53:59 pm
Wings3d has some lovely Circularise improvements as well:
http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=167
particularly the normal alignment and the way it works on planar edges looks very useful!

I haven't tried it myself, so if others could chime in with their comments that'd be wonderful. I use spherise quite a lot and welcome anything that makes it more robust, and particularly the extra options (Wings has quite nice vector operations, it's what I fell in love with back in the day :D) look fantastic.

Also, could the spherise command be improved to the level of the streamline tool? I prefer to use the command.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:56:04 pm by mightypea »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 16, 2013, 01:05:59 pm
Wings3d has some lovely Circularise improvements as well:

Wing3D has had those functions for a long time, it is just a case of them just updating/renewing the docs.

I do like the circularize in wings, as it covers a lot of functions, and does give good results. I still find myself going back into wings to use that (and other) functions quite often.

I think before other functions are added to the circularize in NVIL, the current functions should, IMHO, be made to give better, more consistent results. As example:-

I have a cylinder (octagon) with edges loops selected on each planer face.

Use circularize in NVIL, and the front edge_loops circularize as expected.

But on rotating the cylinder, the circularize has not kept alignment, and the geometry is rotated.

So, on that example, to get good alignment in NVIL, I have to circularize each edge_loop(s) on each planer face separately.

• Edge
May 16, 2013, 01:26:20 pm
Oh, it's exactly what you refer to that I want, for it to be more robust in several situations.

With a few edges forming a straight line for instance, where wings gives you half a circle (very nice!), nvil doesn't have a seperate usecase for it and just kind of mangles the geometry. It's to be expected, these are unexpected cases where seperate behaviour has to be coded in, and that's what I'm asking for.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 16, 2013, 01:55:11 pm
With a few edges forming a straight line for instance, where wings gives you half a circle (very nice!), nvil doesn't have a seperate usecase for it and just kind of mangles the geometry.

Wing3D, on open edge_loops, will maintain the endpoint positions of the edge_loops. It allows for "straighten + equal space" and forming Arcs(a plane can be selected first for the arc).
NVIL will simply attempt to form a full circle from the edge_loop.

I would certainly like any improvements in this.

• Edge
May 16, 2013, 02:15:11 pm
Exactly, the fact that end-points remain is very useful. It's all about building in different functionality per usecase.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 17, 2013, 09:30:10 am
steve, the alignment should be better now.

• Edge
May 21, 2013, 05:56:59 am
Could the surface-aliged mode be made default? It seems it doesn't interfere with functionality on planar items, so I don't foresee any problems in people's workflow.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 21, 2013, 06:01:58 am
It could cause performance problem in big meshes.

• Edge
May 21, 2013, 06:04:16 am
Hmm, I see your point. Perhaps an option then? Or actually, I noticed there's an option to create a composite tool from visual tool options, could this be expanded to streamline tools as well? This way users could set their preferred tool defaults.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 21, 2013, 08:49:27 am
I just give it an option.

• Edge
May 21, 2013, 08:58:38 am
Cool, thank you.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 03, 2013, 08:55:30 am
It is basically all done now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 03, 2013, 03:22:41 pm
I was having a look at
* Circularize tool is improved. If saved transform is presented, it will be used to control the deforming.

Sorry, do not see how that is supposed to work. The results I am seeing are certainly not expected.

Quick example:-

Simple segmented plane. I have selected the full outside border edges.

Running circularize gives expected result.

If I undo, save the current manipulator as transform, then run circularize again, the result is a flattened mess.
(I did try various transforms, but all with various bad results)

So I thought to try on an open edge loop.

Same plane, but with just 3 sides selected

Using same transform as before, the result is closer, but is not circular, and one of the endpoints of the open edge_loop is moving as soon as tool activated.

You will also find that the option "toggle spacing style" does not work correctly on open edge_loops. (I did not even attempt other tests/checks)