News:

Topic: Extrude of edge (It is not bug)  (Read 4505 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 04:55:27 pm
Hi.
http://youtu.be/kY7DFHviz68

If it is bug, then bug is interesting. I suggest to add the option - to weld the vertexes or not. By default - the weld.

p.s. in preview prohibited switch between Flat Style and Shoulder Style.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:16:26 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 05:10:24 pm
It is not a bug. If you where to weld those new polygons to the rest of the model, you would have more than 2 polygons sharing the same edge (Non-manifold).
A lot of 3d programmes(modelers/renderer's) cannot handle that type of geometry, and can actually crash some.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 05:38:04 pm
i tried in cinema4d - vertexes is welded. Maybe Passerby will test in Maya or 3dsmax.

hence it is a feature of NVil  ;) Thanks steve.

Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 06:17:34 pm
Hi molebox,

hence it is a feature of NVil

I have always thought the result to be correct in NVIL, as I have always avoided those non-manifold due to the problems in other software.

C4D (and others) will be able to handle such geometry, but not all can.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 06:42:16 pm
Oh.. I'm sorry. In cinema4d also has problems - it is welded of vertexes to new edges (created with Inset)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:03:37 pm by molebox »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 07:45:42 pm
really dont know what your expecting, it would create non-manifold geo if this actually worked.

edit btw i did test in maya, and maya can do it with out it being unwelded. But if i run the cleanup tool it will select all the verts that the extrusion is made from.

if you do it in max, max just fucks it all right up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:53:57 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 07:54:54 pm
Passerby, I'm not looking specifically bugs and i'm novice in 3d. When I find oddities, then ask, maybe it is bug.

What is non-manifold? Is it one edge with 3 polygons?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 08:01:57 pm
More or less yes. the 3d apps like maya that can actually do this, wont let you export it, and will warning you about them if you run a cleanup.

there a oddity since geo like that cant be properly UV mapped, and calculations of normals is weird on non-manifold geo.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 08:08:11 pm
More or less yes.
Why less? Plane with 2 faces has one edge...

p.s. i found the article "Two-manifold vs. non-manifold polygonal geometry" on the site of autodesk - i will read.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:09:46 pm by molebox »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 08:10:50 pm
sorry "more or less" is a figure of speech in English. i just meant by yes as in that is part of the definition of non-manifold geometry.

if you wanted to make that shape in proper geometry, i would have just beveled the edge loop first, than extruded out as faces, so it has some thickness to it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:12:59 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 08:15:46 pm
Ok, thanks Passerby, i will know.
Oh, steve wrote what is Non-manifold. While I was translating, I forget half the text  ::)

offtop:
"I forget half the text" or "I forget half of text" or ..?
Correct me please.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:25:17 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 08:32:13 pm
Hi molebox,

Why less? Plane with 2 faces has one edge...

An edge with one face can be classed as non-manifold. But because it does not cause problems (with uv mapping and other functions, such as adding thickness(shell) and sub-d) then edges with a single face are usually classed as "Open edge"

When you have an edge that shares 2 polygons, that is "Manifold". All (correctly constructed) solids are classed as manifold.

If you have an edge that shares 3 or more polygons, that is non-manifold, and can cause a lot of problems. So it is best to avoid them.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 10, 2013, 08:33:44 pm
offtop:
"I forget half the text" or "I forget half of text" or ..?
Correct me please.

"I forget half the text"

or

"I forget half of the text"

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2013, 08:44:16 pm
steve, you are well chewed this theme for me =)