News:

Topic: Movement by number/precise  (Read 146 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 10, 2024, 03:32:08 am
I have recently come across 3D coat and how they handle precise movement/rotation of objects is quite nice (in my opinion), once you are aware that it exists.
It goes something like this:
  • Left click and hold over an axis movement (or rotation, probably scale as well)
  • Press Space
  • An over-the-mouse cursor textbox appears, type the movement/rotation/scale amount
  • Press [Enter] or click on 'ok' button

I believe this is a more direct approach to precise movements/offsets than the current Manipulation Input panel for simple one off precise offsets. The entry operation is direct over the mouse position and the numerical input similarly is direct where I already have my eye while modeling. The additional UI is also shut off after the operation, which saves from opening and closing panels.

I also came across this previous thread, however the link no longer works, so perhaps this has been solved already, I just don't know how to do it:
http://digitalfossils.com/nvil-forum//index.php?topic=4693.msg17518#msg17518

Many thanks for your past efforts and consideration with this request.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 10, 2024, 07:39:54 am
Hi,

You can try:-
Streamline Basic Tools -> Generic Tools -> Axis_Move* (calling that tool expects a mouse gesture for axis movement direction, you can then enter value)
Common Modeling Shortcut Tools -> P_Move Selection(*) (calling that tool gives pop_up window for input of axis movement)

I have been using older versions of Nvil, so not sure if any other tools have been added.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 13, 2024, 04:25:39 am
Thanks for the reply Steve,
I think of the two options, the first is perhaps the closest.

Ideally, clicking the move manipulator head and typing would be a big win for me. Even if there was a hotkey to enable the numerical typing.
Something like, Press and Hold on move manipulator arrow head, tap [TAB] key, let go of mouse, type a movement amount and [Enter].

I see quite a few CAD applications that allow pressing tab to quickly switch between the different measurements (say length and angle) and switched from mouse movement to precise.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 14, 2024, 01:50:21 am
This is really good.

Thank you for the hard work you do  :)