News:

Topic: Creating an object numerically  (Read 10722 times)

• Edge
    • Fusion DIgital Productions LLC
January 03, 2012, 01:55:34 pm
This might not be a bug, but it's certainly not usual behavior for most 3D apps.

I was trying to create a simple cube by manually setting the Width, Length and Height.  I typed in 100 in Width, hit TAB to advance to the next window and I just got an error beep.  I thought perhaps VW was a little different and used Enter instead, but that just gave me an error beep too.  The only way to go from Width to Length and to Height was by manually clicking in each window.

To me that's one of those workflow things that need to be fixed.  In most apps you use either Tab or Enter to enter values - usually Tab enters the value and jumps to the next window and Enter accepts and applies your values.

Secondly, hitting "Create" made my object (a cube) but it actually didn't finalize it.  I had to click "Create" and the hit Enter to make the object.  To me, if I hit Create, I expect to create the cube.

Workflow wise, it would be nice if when you clicked in the Width, Length, Height window it made a wireframe object first - then as you adjusted the values, you would see your object adjusting in real-time.  Then when you hit "Create" that would finalize the object.

Coming from Softimage, I am used to doing things numerically, not visually.

-Paul

• Administrator
  • Polygon
January 03, 2012, 02:40:17 pm
try pressing q to confirm.
i also had no problem tabing between input fields while creating a cube.

when you press q it place the object where ever the mouse is, and this works with snapping as well,

when you hit create, it place it at the origin of the scene, and still lets you edit it till you press q or hit close, i find things works quite well, since i can at-least see the outline while adjusting the segments.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:43:50 pm by Passerby »

• Edge
January 03, 2012, 03:01:30 pm
Weird.  I just tried again and I cannot tab between them.

I have all the menus torn off and on my 2nd monitor - could that be the issue?

Paul

• Administrator
  • Polygon
January 03, 2012, 03:15:06 pm
Weird.  I just tried again and I cannot tab between them.

I have all the menus torn off and on my 2nd monitor - could that be the issue?

Paul

the create menu or you mean all of them?

i run duel monitors too so i could test that

• Edge
January 03, 2012, 03:19:54 pm
If I go to Visual Tools, click Box then click Width and set it to any value and try to Tab to the next, I just get an error "bing" and it does nothing.

I also tried in Manipulation - clicked in X, typed 0 and hit Tab and got an error bing too.  So it looks like none of them work.

-Paul

• Administrator
  • Polygon
January 03, 2012, 03:23:48 pm
If I go to Visual Tools, click Box then click Width and set it to any value and try to Tab to the next, I just get an error "bing" and it does nothing.

I also tried in Manipulation - clicked in X, typed 0 and hit Tab and got an error bing too.  So it looks like none of them work.

-Paul

ah were talking about different things, i don't use the visual tools panel at all.

if you got the visual tools panel disabled, and go Geometry > Create, or do the same via a marking menu you get a pop-up box for creating primitives, and tabing works on it just fine.

i just use a custom radial menu for creating objects, and never have visual tools panel visable.