News:

Topic: hide mehs on bone UI mode  (Read 10709 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2012, 02:02:00 pm
been using nvil with this option turned on for a while, and it;s been working great and allowing me to bridge objects and a few other things, but the main issue im getting is with symmetry, if i combine server objects into 1 object so i can mirror them to the other side of a axis, each one is still using it;s own mesh orign to mirror over on even know in this mode it dosnt have a mesh componet mode or a way to merg them.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2012, 09:47:03 pm
I'm a little bit confused here. Do you want me to keep the 'merge objects into one object with multiple meshes' option on when the mesh mode UI is hidden?

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 18, 2012, 07:47:26 am
I'm a little bit confused here. Do you want me to keep the 'merge objects into one object with multiple meshes' option on when the mesh mode UI is hidden?

Yes, that is the whole idea!
That how it works very nicely in Silo.  Zbrush, while not exposing a Subdivision Workspace to the User also works comparably in terms of Object-handling. In my opinion could really do away entirely with the separation of object-mode and mesh-mode.
Merging two separate cubes would result in one discontinous object on the same hierarchy level (it would just inherit the name of one of the cubes). The resulting object can be transformed as a whole but still allows for subobject-selection on both entities (face/edge/vertex-modes).
Merging discontinous stuff makes things a lot easier as a preparation when one wants to assemble an object from separate pieces and everything should end up as as a closed body (e.g.mount separate fingers to the palm of a hand).
But editing with just one level "above" Face-Mode also works fine if ten cubes are supposed to stay separate. One can simply select each pysically separatate object as a whole by doubleclicking it in Face-Mode (full grow selection). That way one can transform it individually. If there's the desire to make it a true separate object one can just break it from its source to a separate top-level object, but one could join it back to where it came frome at any time.
I have also tried to use hide mesh and bone ui but I found that one loses access to some commands. For example one can not access the instancing feature when having Mesh-Mode hidden.

If you give this principle a thought for all editing commands: Would  you see areas where such a simplified paradigm would collide fundamentally with how the Software works?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:51:45 am by polyxo »