News:

Topic: Tab Between Input Fields  (Read 4193 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
December 16, 2013, 09:23:43 pm
Hi, I've a request for a basic, but quite important (imo) feature - the ability to tab between fields of input when entering values.  Here is an example: go into Object Mode, open up the create "Box" dialog, and place your cursor in the Width field.  Type in a value of 1.  Now hit TAB. ???  Why didn't the input field change to the Length input field?  It would certainly save me a lot of time and mouse movement if I could just type in a value, hit Tab, fill in the next value, hit Tab, etc., etc.  Ok, one more example.  I've made a box, and now I'd like to move it to a specific location.  With the box selected, open up the Manipulation Input dialog and highlight the value under Absolute Location X. Enter the value 10.  Hit Tab.  ???  I would argue that the value in Absolute Location Y should now be highlighted but it isn't.

Can we please update NVIL so that Tabbing between input fields is possible?

Thanks~ J

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 17, 2013, 04:42:55 am
This feature has been added long time ago. It works on my pc no matter the box input control panel is in a docked/float dock panel or the box input control panel is a float control by it self. Can some one confirm that it works too?

I may have to make a debug version to see why it does not work for you.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 17, 2013, 06:22:09 am
This feature has been added long time ago. It works on my pc no matter the box input control panel is in a docked/float dock panel or the box input control panel is a float control by it self. Can some one confirm that it works too?

"Tab" used to work, but changed at some point and now acts as "Enter". In fact, on my setup "Tab" and "Enter" are revered in current function even with a new config.

So for tabbing between input fields, currently a need to use "Enter"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 17, 2013, 12:31:56 pm
"Tab" used to work, but changed at some point and now acts as "Enter". In fact, on my setup "Tab" and "Enter" are revered in current function even with a new config.

So for tabbing between input fields, currently a need to use "Enter"
Same here.

• No avatar
  • Spline
December 17, 2013, 06:34:30 pm
OK, I can also confirm that Enter is currently fulfilling the function that I was expecting Tab to perform in this case.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 18, 2013, 06:58:57 am
Can you run NVil in a clean setup and see if Tab key works? I want to find out if it is pc or config related.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 18, 2013, 07:14:16 am
Can you run NVil in a clean setup and see if Tab key works? I want to find out if it is pc or config related.

I put forward in my last post that I used a new config. When I use a new config, I also delete all registry entries for Nvil, so I even get the popup for the "Product Online Registration" request.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 18, 2013, 11:46:10 pm
Focus traversal in some windows is random (Preferences window, for example) and in some of them it ends in a single row (Manipulation Input).
And by the way, Preferences and Manipulation Input windows are one of the few where TAB works, instead of ENTER.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 19, 2013, 01:12:18 am
The above probably means that TAB and ENTER isn't swapped.
It's something within the program itself that prevents us from using TAB as focus traverse button.

• Triangle
April 10, 2014, 01:36:34 am
What I am still missing is the Shift+TAB functionality, with which I can go backwards through the input fields. I'm so used to it, that I make mistakes in Nvil, because I soon realize that I am in the wrong input field.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 10, 2014, 01:52:50 am
ya i find overall the UI is just messed up, nothing really works as expected