News:

Topic: Help!  (Read 2530 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
October 29, 2014, 11:03:59 am
Hay IStonia,
I make high poly bust of alien mech, now I made only head and it has 850 000 polys.
Viewport begin to work slow there is pause everytime I want to zoom or move or rotate. I have tourn edge on unselected - off and hide edges when rotate - ON and it still work bad. Only one thing help me is to isolate object when object is isolated and all other objects are hidden everything working good.
I have also to make neck and shoulder, and I'm afraid there is no way to finish model in Nvil.
But it is just bust, I affraid to think if I have to model all mech. Please make somethink, I LOVE Nvil... I spend a lot of time to tune it and now looks like I have to go to another software becouse Nvil do not allow to work with high poly models.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
October 29, 2014, 11:42:04 am
850k  is demanding for any 3d application!!  Modelling in Maya would also be really slow.

Nvil performs better with more objects insstead of 1 object that is really hi poly.

Best is to work 2x divisions lower then final render resolution.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 29, 2014, 11:51:15 am
Mason, I loaded this model in Cinema 4D and SoftImage works great in both, without any trouble... Even in Silo it works very good... Also in Nvil I used instances insted of simple symmetry to reduce PC load and no luck. But in those softwares where no any instances and it works great.
I think information about 850K is very outdated.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:52:50 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 29, 2014, 09:57:08 pm
Andrei, make sure you have "Cull Backfacing" and "Back Face in Gray" DISABLED. Those two settings, if enabled, can bring a scene containing high-poly objects to a crawl.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 29, 2014, 10:05:12 pm
I wonder why does your model contain so much polygons. 850k for a head part of a robot seems way over the top, unless it's a very, very complex mixture of hard surface and organic subdiv modelling (in which case you'd probably get better and faster results sculpting in 3D-Coat, Mudbox or ZBrush and retopologising your mesh afterwards).
Is 850k the result of an n-level subdivision or is it the poly count of your low-poly geo?
Or maybe you're not modelling with subdivs?
Just curious.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:30:51 pm by rubberDuck »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
October 30, 2014, 07:23:02 am
RubberDuck, "Cull Backfacing" and "Back Face in Gray" are disabled.

It is very complex and high detailed model that is why so many polligons.
I model it only with Sub-D. In sculpting software it is very hard to make this kind of surfaces becouse they are mostly hard surfaces.