News:

Topic: Export multiple meshes to Maya (Keep Object Pivots)  (Read 3859 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 28, 2016, 11:38:16 am
Hi,

I'm having trouble exporting multiple meshes from Nvil to Maya and keeping their object pivot positions and rotations.  I've tried obj and DAE export but with no joy.  Obj's come into maya with all their pivots at the world origin.

Is there a way?

Also why DAE?  Maya 2015 reports an error when importing a DAE file that's been exported from Nvil.  Would FBX be better?

cheers
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 29, 2016, 04:04:56 pm
Hi ghib,

.obj file do not contain pivot information

DAE does contain that info, but Maya is (I think) the same as 3dsmax, and uses an FBX importer for DAE, so the DAE file is expected to be FBX compatible.

In Nvil DAE exporter, set "Rotation format" to "Rotation Axis" and enable "Flatten hierarchy". That exports a file that 3dsmax will read with errors generated , but pivot location/orientation is kept. So that may work in Maya?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:39:02 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 30, 2016, 03:49:04 pm
Thanks for the response Steve.

I have tried the settings you mentioned and when I try to import into I get the following error message:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised. Warning: The transform of node "pCube1" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS. Warning: The transform of node "Bone_BoneMesh_01" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

Now I have been using Nvil's grouping function in the Scene Exporer Hierarchy.

Let me try it after unparenting all objects in the scene.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 30, 2016, 04:32:08 pm
Ok so the objects at least import now but the scale and translations are massively off.

An imported model comes into Maya with values similar to these

If I make the Scales 1 the objects are at the correct scale but the Translations are massively off.

Maya is set by default to cm (and I can't change that)
Nvil Units are set to 100 as one Meter.
Nvil DAE File Format export is 1.00 Export Scale, 1 as one centimeter.

What am I doing wrong.. The answer I'm sure is SO simple I just can't see it.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 30, 2016, 05:00:16 pm
Hi ghib,

So you do not get an importer window in Maya (to set units/scale) ?

With 3dsmax (I am using an older version due to a needed plugin), it will scale the translations/scale based on info contained in the dae file (should not do that, but probably does due to incorrect formating for FBX).

I can only suggesting exporting a test file.
For example. Create a box, and translate it one unit in X. Export from Nvil at default scale and check objects location in Maya. You can then adjust scale export in nvil to offset incorrect position.

This is something Istonia really needs to look at. We either need DAE better support (To FBX) or an FBX exporter. Although of course, easier said than done.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
October 05, 2016, 10:19:03 am
Thanks so much for the reply Steve.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I found a fix/workaround for this which I'll post in a minute.
The importer window in Maya wasn't really the problem all along; it was the actual settings in Nvil.

Here are the settings I'm using which gives me a matching scale between the two apps in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

Nvil
Before exporting Select all objects you want to export and click 'Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Scale.
Edit > Preferences > General > Unit Setup > Generic.
Edit > Options > File Format Options > Formats (dae) > 0.010 Export scale, check Flatten hierarchy, Y-UP, Rotation Axis, 1 as one centimeter.

Maya
Just leave as is with the DAE/FBX Import options.  Units > Scale Factor 100.0 Automatic.

Anyway thanks for all the help steve it's been invaluable.

p.s. it would be a big help actually if the freeze object scale could be a check box on export.
Senior 3D Artist