News:

Topic: Chamfer gets skewed  (Read 2808 times)

• Triangle
May 18, 2013, 02:22:35 am
First to understand my post correctly: Bevel = Chamfer (so you don't get confused with what NVil calls Bevel).

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but the edge chamfer behaves like the bevel in Maya, which is bad.  ;) The resulting bevel gets skewed. Silo doesn't do this and I think I'm not wild guessing if I say, that this is the preferred beveling. It's hard to explain what I mean, so take a look at this picture:

I can't imagine anybody who would want that skewed beveling. Silo does it right and I'd like NVil to improve to the same quality, please.

Here's another image with perspective, so you can see what kind of geometry this is:

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 18, 2013, 09:41:05 am
An option for this is added.

• Triangle
May 18, 2013, 12:27:05 pm
Thank you so much! It's crazy, I post a bug before I go to bed, and when I wake up, there's already a solution. :)

I just want to point out to anyone who's reading this, why this chamfer behavior is so important. I find it critical for modelling modular pieces. If you bevel by the same amount, things should fit together. This wasn't the case until now, and I only noticed it, because I recently set up my units to work with UDK (2^n, so my default cube is now 128x128, grid steps of 8 ). Here's a comparison between the chamfer options:

All corners were chamfered by the same amount, but only with "equal chamfer amount"-option turned on, as you can see on the left, the new piece would tile nicely with the beveled cube next to it. On the right the option is turned off, which leads to a different chamfer amount and skewed geometry.

Thanks again, Kun, for making life much easier!