News:

Topic: Numerical sliders boundaries and speed  (Read 10576 times)

• Edge
March 17, 2012, 12:32:16 pm
While using the numerical sliders (two vertical triangles)
the cursor and it's movement is bound to screen, so you can reach so far with sliding/changing the value in one gesture.
Of course you could input the numbers by typing them in but it's not the point.

Is it possible to either read the mouse movement without screen boundaries,
or even better make it so that MMB click + drag makes greater amounts of value change, since RMB is mapped to "reset value"?

In XSI you'd CTR click drag to increase the amount of value change, SHIFT click drag to decrease the amount of value change
and ALT click to jump values by decimals. Then you still have RMB to "reset to default".

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:40:52 pm by Memag »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2012, 12:46:09 pm
Yes, I also suggested using Modifier-Key as additive or subtractive Multipliers inside Sliders.
Also I think one really should remove the duplicated sliders as they appear in several tools (one for minor adjustments, one for greater numbers). When we could use Modifiers when using Sliders such was no longer necessary.

• Edge
March 17, 2012, 01:04:12 pm
Exactly.
Thus simplifying the UI and making it easier to use and understand.

• Edge
March 17, 2012, 01:14:21 pm
Maybe it's not necessary to keep the last used tool (eg. hinge) turned on after clicking "accept"? What is the benefit of this?

Perhaps integrating "cancel-accept" box into tool's input panel would be better than to keep it floating, especially when it's skin is not constant with the rest of UI and when it's not remembering it's last position?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:24:32 pm by Memag »

• Edge
March 17, 2012, 01:24:06 pm
I also don't get "apply" and "preview" buttons in extrude/bevel/inset?
So maybe it would be even better for these buttons to be stripped down to just few clicks (apply and cancel)? Maybe it's just me ,but I think people will find this confusing and unnecessary, for there is too many buttons to press, to do an operation and end it.

Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2012, 02:54:37 pm
Maybe it's just me ,but I think people will find this confusing and unnecessary, for there is too many buttons to press, to do an operation and end it.
No, it is not just you. All Commands which allow for a Preview should work the same, ideally the Rendering Style of Preview Geometry would tell that one is still in the middle of the Command.
Yes it is probably not necessary to introduce yet another Popup for the Preview. I work with three Screens and sometimes find the
Popups spread on several of these Screens, which in the case of the very small Preview-Popup can be nasty: It's hard to find.

Also I find that comparable Input e.g.inserting additional Loops should work the same everywhere.
  • Extrude with 3 Loops: Just hit 3
  • Shell with 3 Loops: Just hit 3
  • etc.
Currently several commands have separate interfaces for very comparable actions
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:56:15 pm by polyxo »

• Edge
March 17, 2012, 03:48:52 pm
It is a wonderful program but, in my opinion, it needs to be easy to use and understand out of the box (Silo like), for new users and new 3d users in general , as well as deep enough for more advanced users and those who will customize their tools and workflow (which is already there in tons).

I agree tool interfaces and UI overall needs some polishing up.
Hope it's not too tedious to do it.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 17, 2012, 06:43:45 pm
ya i agree with the modifier keys for spinners, maybe shift moves in finer increment and control makes it move in larger increments.

and consistency to the UI is needed.

also thing mentioned about streamline tools like extrude and bevel having extra commands like tapping a number to increase the amount of cuts, i think that should be changeable by the user and that variables of tools like that should be exposed and bindable in the streamline edit window.

there is also inconsistency in functionality between tools also, if i do a extrude and tap 3 for 3 segments, it does the extrude with 3 segments and doesn't remember the option for next time, but if i do the same thing with bevel and hit 3 for 3 segments it will remember that and do all new bevels with the segments even with out me hitting 3.

overall i find nvil to have amazing modeling tools, it just needs to work on Polish and performance.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:47:58 pm by Passerby »

• Edge
March 19, 2012, 10:40:35 pm
Sliders again.
Perhaps they should detect value change on exact mouse position/click and drag, within their boundary frame.
This way it could be more predictable and not feel and look awkward.

Current behavior-

Thanks.