News:

Topic: Retopo [MODE]  (Read 10882 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
February 28, 2012, 12:22:21 pm
I'd like to see a Retopology mode in Voidworld similar to turning on/off symmetry or soft selection.

Whereby whatever object you have selected will be your retop mesh and you can have a list of the rest of the objects in the scene that you can set to be your background objects for the retop mesh to snap to.

This way we can expose ALL of the powerful modelling tools at our disposal to retopologize.
The current way is quite hindered by being nested under the edge subobject level.  I can't even make an edge loop selection for example, or make further cuts or geometry changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:25:23 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
February 28, 2012, 12:46:31 pm
Possibly what I really mean is two things:
  • a surface snapping mode
  • a filter for that surface snapping mode to select and isolate specific Reference meshes
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
March 10, 2012, 02:47:34 pm
I'd like to see a Retopology mode in Voidworld similar to turning on/off symmetry or soft selection.

Whereby whatever object you have selected will be your retop mesh and you can have a list of the rest of the objects in the scene that you can set to be your background objects for the retop mesh to snap to.

This way we can expose ALL of the powerful modelling tools at our disposal to retopologize.
The current way is quite hindered by being nested under the edge subobject level.  I can't even make an edge loop selection for example, or make further cuts or geometry changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

I agree it's a bit quirky.
But here's the workaround, for the time being.

You can enable cutting (and other tools you wish to have in retopo mode) by going in streamline tools editor and enabling "can be activated when visual tool is on".
But selecting loops (double click) is still a problem in retopo mode, since clicking works as a tweak mode.There are also SHIFT and CTRL involved in poly creation in retopo mode, so it could get messy.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 10, 2012, 09:14:13 pm
ah thanks man, much appreciated. I did not know about this.  Might be a good workaround until a proper solution to retopology hits Nvil.
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
March 11, 2012, 12:09:12 pm
ah thanks man, much appreciated. I did not know about this.  Might be a good workaround until a proper solution to retopology hits Nvil.

Another setup/workaround could be like this (Save image to view it in full size).

Set Edge_WholeLoop_Select/Slide, or Edge_Range_Select/Slide to one of your stream line tools and enable "can be activated when visual tool is on".

Still I didn't find a way to have default selection behavior, nor could I enable soft selection.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 13, 2012, 03:04:19 pm
Good workarounds Memag cheers for the tips.  I've been playing around with the Streamline tools to see which would give the best workflow but unfortunately due to the nature of them being able to share keyboard shortcuts across different subobject levels this results in conflicts when the Visual Retop tool is on.
e.g. vertex Target Weld & Edge loop Cut, share the same hotkey in my setup and only 1 can work at a time with 'can be activated when visual tool is on.

It does give a bit more functionality to the retopology in Voidworld so it will tide us over until Istonia implements a fully global retopology mode.  IF/WHEN?
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
March 13, 2012, 06:12:35 pm
Good workarounds Memag cheers for the tips.  I've been playing around with the Streamline tools to see which would give the best workflow but unfortunately due to the nature of them being able to share keyboard shortcuts across different subobject levels this results in conflicts when the Visual Retop tool is on.
e.g. vertex Target Weld & Edge loop Cut, share the same hotkey in my setup and only 1 can work at a time with 'can be activated when visual tool is on.

It does give a bit more functionality to the retopology in Voidworld so it will tide us over until Istonia implements a fully global retopology mode.  IF/WHEN?

No problem ghib.

Can't you set "vertex target weld" to LMB and "edge loop cut" to MMB, or different mouse buttons?
Perhaps set target weld to NMB (just press  the key and drag the weld line to other vertex) and loop cut to LMB? Or did I get you wrong?