News:

Topic: Scene Explorer Requests  (Read 3474 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 16, 2014, 09:31:47 am
Hi.  Using the 11 Jan 2014 version of NVIL, the Scene Explorer/Poly Grouping system is working much better for me.  There are a couple features which would improve my workflow however:

1.  Please allow us to attach/detach/dock the three tabs of the Scene Explorer.  In my case, I want to display both the Object List and the Object Groups tabs in their own UI panels simultaneously.  Switching back and forth between them causes me slowdown in my work.

2.  Please create or allow creation of an Object List Hot Window.  I could definitely see myself binding this to a hotkey and using it for object selection within a scene.  Currently, I stretch my NVIL interface across two monitors - one for the viewport(s) and the other for tools/windows.  I find hot windows useful for bringing the UI to my mouse instead of the other way around - saves me mouse movement (I have RSI, so the less I move the mouse unneccessarily the better).

3.  In the Scene Explorer Object List tab, please enable me to Toggle Hide/Unhide with the middle mouse as I can in the Objects Group tab - it's a good method for me, and it would be more consistent.  Additional, please consider changing the "Unhide" button to "Toggle Hide/Unhide".

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 19, 2014, 09:17:33 am
All done.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 19, 2014, 11:18:03 pm
I'm not sure I like this change, but I think I'll accommodate.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 20, 2014, 10:50:49 am
Sorry, Rubberduck, hope this didn't mess up your UI! - really wasn't intended.  I've brought my Object List out into the UI and docked it directly above the Scene Explorer, so it's very similar to before, only I can use both simultaneously.

Istonia - thank you!  This is a big workflow enhancement for me.  I'm really loving having Object List, Polygon Group List and Manipulation Input hot windows hotkeyed!  Saves me loads of mousing.

There are a *few bugs* I'm encountering.  First, the Hide/Unhide , Rename, and Refresh buttons disappear as soon as I use the middle-click method to hide an object.  Also, I would like to be able to hide/unhide an object by simply middle-clicking the object name without have to first select the object in the list.  By extension, unhiding an object from the list always clears my object selections.  I will test more when I have time, but as I'm at work, I'll have to mess around more later.   

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 21, 2014, 08:36:19 am
I have remove those buttons as the same functions can be accessed in right click context menu.

MMB should work as expected.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 21, 2014, 10:45:21 am
Brilliant, mate.  Works really nicely here so far.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 25, 2014, 04:08:13 am
Sorry, Rubberduck, hope this didn't mess up your UI! - really wasn't intended.  I've brought my Object List out into the UI and docked it directly above the Scene Explorer, so it's very similar to before, only I can use both simultaneously.
It didn't, as I work fullscreen with hot windows, so there's nothing UI-wise that could get messed up. :D
I was more concerned about keyboard shortcuts, because I heavily rely on them and I'm running out of "logical" combinations that are both: easy to remember and within a reach of my left hand.
I have SHIFT+E bound to Scene Explorer where I could access three of its functions. Now I can access only two and the third one with CTRL+ALT+E. But it's okay. :P

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 27, 2014, 10:49:37 am
An option has been added so the object list can stay in Scene Explorer.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 27, 2014, 11:15:17 am
Thanks!