News:

Topic: radial symmetry  (Read 3404 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 04, 2015, 07:46:49 am
Will be great to have radial symmetry like this:

It wold be greate like in ZBrush, but I found on forum that is not simple task so may be some logik like here 2.10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxp-8Bh15Es
Some kind of layering symmetry.

Or may be make radial symmetry some how to weld when it is instanced?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:35:55 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 29, 2015, 09:46:41 pm
+1

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 30, 2015, 12:34:50 am
I am not sure as to why that would be needed, but it can be done in Nvil.
Very quick example (using symmetry / spline instance)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 30, 2015, 01:59:45 am
I am not sure as to why that would be needed (...)
Productivity, simplicity and user experience. One or two clicks instead of multiple actions. When you have lots of modelling to do, those clicks and workarounds for simple tasks stack up into lots of wasted precious minutes.

One could say that the planar symmetry could also be done with instances. Would you like to have to deal with instances to do simple mirroring ops?

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
October 30, 2015, 11:10:13 am
Thats how I do it Steve,  but it does break at the seams unfortunately if symmetry is not working properly.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 30, 2015, 11:33:19 pm
One or two clicks instead of multiple actions. When you have lots of modelling to do, those clicks and workarounds for simple tasks stack up into lots of wasted precious minutes.
The first post puts forward that "like in ZBrush, but I found on forum that is not simple task", so not a simple task. The first post also links to vid that show the process in 3ds max, and that is not one or 2 clicks. So I do not know where you get the idea this would be a simple task with one or 2 clicks.
I also have to wonder as to how often something like that would be used, considering the first post was made almost 7 months ago with first reply just made.

One could say that the planar symmetry could also be done with instances. Would you like to have to deal with instances to do simple mirroring ops?
I would use instance for symmetry, but that is not possible in Nvil, you cannot flip an instance.
For "Mirror" I use a flipped copy (quicker/easier that checking where the object/mesh pivots are)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 08, 2015, 09:16:36 pm
Steve, Nvil already has everything that is necessary for a basic radial symmetry.
It's just a matter of automatically welding the points of instanced geometry, so the geometry can be freely subdivided without any problems (surface continuity). And with instances only - it can't.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
December 09, 2015, 07:59:31 am
Yep 9automatic welding allow us to havemsymmetry based on instances. It defentlywould be great.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com