News:

Topic: Collective treatment to IStonia  (Read 3367 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 01, 2014, 08:53:04 am
Hay people, I hope you will support me.
I want it to be all our collective treatment to IStonia.

Pleas stop for a while Nvil development and write good HELP!
You made a lot of tools but no one knows how to use them!
Help is terrible, no video tutorials at all.
It is VERY hard for newcomers to undesrtand how to work in Nvil.
I spend a half of day everyday trying to understand how to use this or that...

All that stuff in Nvil will stau usless if people have no idea hou to use it...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:55:36 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 01, 2014, 10:52:33 am
Istonia is relying on us to create tutorials.

If you already have experience in another modelling application  then you only need to understand the UI and how to make it work for you.   If you want to learn modelling techniques,  then there are plenty of tutorials on youtube that use identical tools in other applications.

For easy learning experience, try my config in community help.  We also compiled all of the available tutorials on the forums in a sticky in tutorials section.  It is more then enough to master the UI.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 01, 2014, 11:31:23 am
I already have experience in another modelling applications... But still have difficulties trying to work in Nvil. I spend a hours trying to understand how work this or that... For example I already spend half of day trying to understand how UV in Nvil and still have a lot of questions... But whot we can say about people without any experience?

I think if Nvil will go this way it will never become popular modeller. Support is critical!

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 01, 2014, 11:44:09 am
Sounds like you are still exploring the limits to the application.  UVs at the moment are not usable. I spent a month of my time learning the limits and explored the workflow of each feature.  Then I spent a couple weeks refining the UI layout so that I can have all tools i need within one click without any menus.

You must consider that Nvil is under constant development and with small, weekly updates...is getting faster development time then any Autodesk product.  Major apps have already logged years of development time before Nvil was started and have hence slowed down.  Nvil not yet a complete package,  but I cannot think of any other application that is strictly focused on developing as a modeler that is constantly getting updates.  That gives it a great potential if it maintains its pace.

Nvil is going somewhere if the community remains active.  I have already dropped Maya as my modeling app in favour of  Nvil.  Although I must continue doing UVs in Maya  (which is really good at UVs)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 01, 2014, 11:50:45 am
Mason, Nvil is my main modeller now, but I really suffer from luck of information about it. It has a lot of tools, some times it seams like more than anough, but without any information about it. I wanted to UV in Nvil, but I leave this idea and back to 3D Coat for this becouse I have no clear understanding about this.

• Triangle
March 01, 2014, 05:10:33 pm
If there was a Wiki I would definitely contribute to that!

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 01, 2014, 07:36:40 pm
I got next to no time after my 2 jobs, but I will look at building a wiki to go along side this fourms.

I'm looking at mediaWiki as a possible wiki option at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:44:45 pm by Passerby »

• Triangle
March 02, 2014, 05:59:40 am
I got next to no time after my 2 jobs, but I will look at building a wiki to go along side this fourms.

Is there a way someone could help setting it up? I've got no server space, but maybe someone else to get this thing going. I assume it can be ported to the Server DigitalFossils is running on, if needed. I unfortunately don't know about this stuff.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 02, 2014, 12:38:53 pm
I whole heartedly agree with the Original Poster.  Kun has created a fantastic tool here which can do some very unique things that not even the monolithic apps like Maya/Si can do.

I will try to contribute, in the future, parts of my workflow using Nvil that help me in my day to day job.  One example being to fix up Blend Shapes using the non-destructive symmetry tools.

Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 02, 2014, 12:42:51 pm

Is there a way someone could help setting it up? I've got no server space, but maybe someone else to get this thing going. I assume it can be ported to the Server DigitalFossils is running on, if needed. I unfortunately don't know about this stuff.

I will just have to do it once I have time, since I get let others access my server directly.

• Triangle
March 02, 2014, 02:21:48 pm
I will just have to do it once I have time, since I get let others access my server directly.
What I meant was, that perhaps someone who had time and a server could set it up, just to get going and once you have time the wiki could be copied/pasted or something to the new site.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 02, 2014, 02:35:40 pm
Copy it over is the same amount of work as installing it, since it would need to be reconfigured to the mysql dB on a new server, I will likely get to it on Monday or thuesday night. I also would be trying to integrate the login for the forums with mediawiki so people don't need separate accounts.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:38:47 pm by Passerby »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 03, 2014, 03:06:22 pm
nvilwiki.cmcproductions.co.uk/ here is the URL for the wiki, will have to get the details so i can add it to the digital fossils pages later.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 04, 2014, 06:41:24 am
Looks like it does not work.