News:

Topic: Bugs or features, questions  (Read 8938 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 28, 2013, 02:07:13 pm
1. How to select fully a vertexes, edges, faces? With "Window/Crossing Selections"?  It is don't work.

2. The selecting with help Shift key working also negative. Why? For this there is a Ctrl key. How better?

3. Strange Loop Selection tool works. Bug or feature?

Look at video: https://www.box.com/s/pvg00fu1acxf6kfmo7lh
Run the NVil_3quest.htm
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:12:55 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 28, 2013, 04:07:31 pm
1. Use MMB
2. Use Shift + Ctrl
3. limitation in selection method.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 28, 2013, 04:59:55 pm
1. Use MMB
2. Use Shift + Ctrl
3. limitation in selection method.

Thanks steve.
1. What is "Window/Crossing Selections"?
2. It is weird.. Why so many variants? Ctrl - negative selection, Shift - positive selection.
3. bad.. May be IStonia thinking something, for example:  select 2 edges and determine the direction of the selection. Select, until they reached the selected edge or corner >= x gradus.
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 28, 2013, 08:43:07 pm
1. What is "Window/Crossing Selections"?
2. It is weird.. Why so many variants? Ctrl - negative selection, Shift - positive selection.
3. bad.. May be IStonia thinking something, for example:  select 2 edges and determine the direction of the selection. Select, until they reached the selected edge or corner >= x gradus.

1. When you drag out a selection area, there is a border. You may want to select those edges which are completely inside the area. You may also want to select those edges that sit across the border too, window crossing.
2. In the video, I saw the 'SmartTips' displayed on the left. If you look into it, you should see how the 'Shift/Ctrl/Alt' keys are assigned to control selection. Include: include new selection into existing selection. Exclude: exclude new selection from existing selection. Toggle: the new selection may overlap the existing selection and you can make the overlap area unselected and the non-overlap erea in the new selection selected.
3. There is page about selection in the help file. Help > Contents > Modeling > Selection Tools.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 28, 2013, 09:19:29 pm
1. When you drag out a selection area, there is a border. You may want to select those edges which are completely inside the area. You may also want to select those edges that sit across the border too, window crossing.
I'll try to understand =)

2. In the video, I saw the 'SmartTips' displayed on the left. If you look into it, you should see how the 'Shift/Ctrl/Alt' keys are assigned to control selection. Include: include new selection into existing selection. Exclude: exclude new selection from existing selection. Toggle: the new selection may overlap the existing selection and you can make the overlap area unselected and the non-overlap erea in the new selection selected.
Ok. Just a lot of text in the interface, menus. I think you need to simplify the interface. Silo thanks simple interface has become so popular. I think.
3. There is page about selection in the help file. Help > Contents > Modeling > Selection Tools.
Thanks, IStonia for help.

update:
One hour is worked in NVil - interface is liked. Need a way to restore order in the menu. For the beginner - too many points of menus - he is will puzzled.

update2:
Some strange artifacts in the viewport. Take note, please. For me, it's not critical. In the archive there are videos and project.
https://www.box.com/s/e9z9d73w79es4vqv29qs
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:49:18 am by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 04, 2013, 09:42:07 am
About artifacts in viewport:
I was wrong. When you want to select the small edges or faces - very difficult to do this.
In Preference-->Clip Plane-->Near Plane Scale i to set the smallest value - 0.001 .It is dont help me..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:51:36 am by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 04, 2013, 10:33:07 am
Can you give some more detail on the difficulty. Have you tried to smaller the selection radius?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 04, 2013, 11:25:55 am
Hi molebox,

When you want to select the small edges or faces - very difficult to do this.
In Preference-->Clip Plane-->Near Plane Scale i to set the smallest value - 0.001 .It is dont help me..

Sounds like you are losing view focus.

Use "Ctrl+Alt+shift" + RMB click near where you want to work. You can then zoom in better.
Or, select a polygon/edge or vertex near area you want to work, and press "F6" to auto zoom to area.
You will then better see and be able to select small edges/faces.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 04, 2013, 01:15:58 pm
Hi molebox,

Sounds like you are losing view focus.

Use "Ctrl+Alt+shift" + RMB click near where you want to work. You can then zoom in better.
Or, select a polygon/edge or vertex near area you want to work, and press "F6" to auto zoom to area.
You will then better see and be able to select small edges/faces.

YES! It helped me :D Thank you steve! Both of variants is working. I'm simply don't knew what to search.. I thought that this is a bug =)

IStonia, i recorded a video, may be you interesting - https://www.box.com/s/jngjqgx87rlobpiv7t8s
Why the focus does not work automatically? Due to performance reasons?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:19:39 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 04, 2013, 08:53:12 pm
Why the focus does not work automatically?

Do you know any other apps which handle this and how?

Edit: When you adjust near/far clip planes manually, you need to set both in the individual viewport control panel. Far plane value should be larger than near plane.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:27:06 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 05, 2013, 06:13:26 am
Do you know any other apps which handle this and how?
I don't know. But, when i pressed Ctrl+Shift+Alt+RMB then "Clip Plane" worked is right,ie the artefact (culling) appear in strongly zoom (watch the video).  Maybe you need to call "Set View Focusing Point" on each creating/opening the Scene?

Edit: When you adjust near/far clip planes manually, you need to set both in the individual viewport control panel. Far plane value should be larger than near plane.
up/down don't work. Only manually input in textbox. Watch the video.

https://www.box.com/s/tcyrio3436usdnf3jbyc

update:
I thinking that is bug. Problem was not only in perspective but and in the Left viewport. In the left viewport fully disappear a object
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:17:12 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 05, 2013, 12:46:43 pm
I don't know. But, when i pressed Ctrl+Shift+Alt+RMB then "Clip Plane" worked is right,ie the artefact (culling) appear in strongly zoom (watch the video).  Maybe you need to call "Set View Focusing Point" on each creating/opening the Scene?

When in Auto Set mode, the app adjusts the clip planes base on camera and focus point positions. So when you do 'Ctrl+Shif+Alt+RMB', the clip planes will be adjusted so the area around the focus point will be ensured visible. I can't see the need to Call 'Set View Focusing Point' command automatically on creating/opening each scene. Because I have no idea where to set it. When you create a new scene, the focusing point will be set to world origin. When you open a scene, the focus point will be set to the point where it was when the scene was saved.

up/down don't work.

It is a special control, you need type in a non-zero value first, after that click and hold then drag to adjust the value.

I thinking that is bug. Problem was not only in perspective but and in the Left viewport. In the left viewport fully disappear a object

Not sure what you mean here.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 05, 2013, 01:15:31 pm

It is a special control, you need type in a non-zero value first, after that click and hold then drag to adjust the value.
I'm sorry, it was not obvious to me   :-[

Not sure what you mean here.
video:
https://www.box.com/s/188rzqf3v4l8bb1eubg1

Try to play with my scene.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 05, 2013, 01:19:13 pm

That can happen if view focus is lost for viewport.

Set up a hotkey for "Best Fit(All views)" and use that to correct view focus in all views at once.(I use F8)

You can find the command in the Customize Tools:-

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 05, 2013, 01:29:47 pm
1. steve, do you have this problem, with  disappearing of object?
Thanks for advice, i will try.

2. I tried cut tool. How to cut on straight line? I tried to cut with SHift and Ctrl... :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:55:12 pm by molebox »