News:

Topic: Orthographic View  (Read 3925 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 07, 2015, 05:50:27 am
This subject as come up various times before, but find a need to bring it up again.

When working on larger scenes, there are many times I want to zoom into/inside a model. For example, I may be creating a building and want to zoom inside the building to work on internal walls. The current implimentation of orthographic views does not always allow that, as it is not possible to zoom past world zero.

Inability to zoom bast world zero. That as always been an issue. To get around it, I would add a camera, and use that. Here is a previous build I have a camera set to ortho and have moved it past world zero and can view the green box.

In current build(March-18)
As example of problem zooming past world zero. I have set up simple sceen. A blue box at world zero, with other box(green/blue) set along world axis.

On that example, which ever orhto view I use, with whatever options, I cannot zoom past the blue box.

If I go back to my workaround by using a camera, that workaround no longer works, as wherever along an axis I place the camera, while in ortho view, The cammera will not view past world zero.

Please make better implimentation.

------------------------------------------
Another problem that has shown again in current test build, is "Edge leaks" It took quite a while to get that fixed, and now broken again. I will not go back to having to keep navigating around the model to see what polygons have been selected incorreclty.

For me, good view navigation and accurate selections are the 2 main needs. Without those, it does not matter if the programme as hundreds of tools/functions. If you cannot view/select well/correctly, the tools are of little use (IMHO)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:41:31 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 08, 2015, 11:29:39 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-08-15.rar

The zooming behavior is improved.

I found a bug about the selection. Hopefully it's the one that caused the problem.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 08, 2015, 01:23:00 pm
Hi IStonia,

Zooming is much improved, can now zoom past zero. Many thanks.

The problem with edges leaks. They are still there, so still an issue.(no problems in March-18-15 build).

-------------------------------
Another issue.
Is Nvil reliant on windows "Aero Themes"? When "Aero Themes" are disabled on my setup (win7 64), Nvil takes twice as long to stert up and any applications I have opened, such as windows "Task Manager", all the tabs and text flicker dissapear/reapper. Not something I like to see.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2015, 09:06:56 am
When I fixed the Boolean bugs, I changed the triangle test algorithm which is shared by polygon selection code. Now I change it back. See if the edges leak still there.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Apr-09-15.rar

Another issue.
Is Nvil reliant on windows "Aero Themes"? When "Aero Themes" are disabled on my setup (win7 64), Nvil takes twice as long to stert up and any applications I have opened, such as windows "Task Manager", all the tabs and text flicker dissapear/reapper. Not something I like to see.

I don't have any code to specify about "Aero Themes". I don't see anything that happen on your side.
The only thing I made that may slow down startup is the control back color and text color customization. But I don't see it is as twice long on my side.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 09, 2015, 10:57:42 pm
Hi IStonia,

When I fixed the Boolean bugs, I changed the triangle test algorithm which is shared by polygon selection code. Now I change it back. See if the edges leak still there.
Looking good.
Will that cause any issues for booleans?

I don't have any code to specify about "Aero Themes". I don't see anything that happen on your side.
The only thing I made that may slow down startup is the control back color and text color customization. But I don't see it is as twice long on my side.
Maby not specifically for themes.
What I noticed, it that on startup, the splash screen shows, when Aero disabled, the splash does not have transparency. But after approx 10 seconds, at which time Nvil would of normally started, there appears to be some change to display, and nvil splash then shows transparency, and nvil then starts up after another 10 seconds.
Note: This does not appear to be related to any recent changes made. I am also seeing this in feb-01-15 build.
Voidworld(free version) does not show the issue. So probably related to 64 bit version.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:07:10 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 10, 2015, 08:38:20 pm
Polygon selection and Boolean operation use separate algorithm.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 10, 2015, 10:51:56 pm
Will this fix work also in the perspective view?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 11, 2015, 10:19:17 am
The bug is not related to perspective view.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2015, 12:44:39 pm
I asked this, because there is a similar problem in perspective view. One cannot dolly the camera past the camera's pivot. Not sure if it's only a matter of toggling some setting or if it's a bug.
---
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k1hgryzv4zzw6a/cant_dolly_past_camera_pivot.mp4?dl=1
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:23:13 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2015, 08:19:51 pm
I don't have any code to specify about "Aero Themes".

Why is Nvil loading image "uxtheme.dll"?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 13, 2015, 04:56:39 am
It is the default behavior. There is no easy way to disable it. Have read of this article.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/26488/How-to-Disable-Windows-Themes-Using-uxtheme-dll-an

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 13, 2015, 06:27:32 am
It is the default behavior. There is no easy way to disable it. Have read of this article.

So it is .net, OK, I should of realized.

I am still seeing some issue on startup, but it is not the same on AMD(GPU) as it is on Nvidia(GPU). I will need to check more.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 21, 2015, 11:23:20 am
When zooming, the camera will move towards focus point but will never passes it.