News:

Topic: Nvils selling points?  (Read 11988 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 08, 2012, 02:21:11 pm
Just want to grab from the community the features and parts of Nvil/Voidworld that you all find to be it's best features/selling points.

it's pretty important that we figure out how to best market it and i would like see as many different opinions to incorporate as possible.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 09, 2012, 10:39:35 am
I think it would make sense to set a strong accent on slimness and straightforwardness.
Having Animation, Rendering and all sorts of other non Geometry Creation Processes on board will require more Item Types and hierarchical Structures and consequently slow you down and make required funktionalities harder to discover. That's an effect all larger SubD-Modelling programs suffer from. Concentrating on the Modeling bit and doing this tremendously well was already Key of Silo's success.

I see Nvil as most useful as a Basemesh-Creation Application for Sculpting Purposes and as a versatile Concept Development Tool with low to medium Polycounts. When envisioning Screenshots I rather see single intricate Objects than large Scenes with lots of items. As dealing with huge polycounts certainly doesn't belong to Nvil's strengths one should not sugggest so. Also setting up large Scenes would make very limited sense as there's no downstream processes (rendering, animation etc.)supported.

Another Accent imo should be Customizability: Video-Clips should demonstrate how quickly one can make Nvil behave like the preferred Modeling-App XY. The whole area of Customization and the Streamline Engine Concept should get explained in depth though as it may be intimidating without Guidance.

• Edge
March 09, 2012, 07:29:38 pm
Streamline tools, deep customization and great modeling toolset overall is what separates Nvil from similar programs, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:42:55 am by Memag »

• Edge
March 27, 2012, 10:32:19 pm
I just visited the old Silo forum and saw people still hanging there,
hoping Silo will resurrect any day now.
Constant (and impressive) development cycle is something Nvil can be proud of.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 27, 2012, 11:17:21 pm
ya thats a good one, sometime when im not overrun with work, i want to bring up a site for nvil, and want to get all this kinda stuff upfront and center on it. also would be nice if i could get some screens of content created in nvil for this also.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 28, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
I'm not sure that..
Constant (and impressive) development cycle is something Nvil can be proud of.
.. this is something that one should brag about.  Don't get me wrong, what Kun has done with this program is very impressive and also the speed with which he has worked in the past.  I don't know what the burnout rate will be however, especially as it's just 1 guy working on this with limited resources. 

It's one thing for an established company to claim that the development output will be consistent and/or prolific but for Kun to claim this as a selling point could be a double edged sword.  I saw how quickly things went sour with Nevercenter's Silo when their output slowed to a snail's pace due to funds/lack of interest/burnout/resentment of forum whinging.. etc.. who knows. 

I've also seen it on the 3DCoat forums where people come to expect and take for granted the prolific output of Andrew and complain if a week goes by and there isn't a brand new toy to play with.

I would just be wary of using this phrase as a major selling point.
If sales do well enough initially and Kun keeps it up consistently long term then word will spread and people will gravitate towards Nvil.

I somewhat believe the mantra 'people don't buy what you do they buy why you do it'
I'd love to hear Kun's opinion on this actually.
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
March 28, 2012, 02:16:07 pm
Agreed.
Excellent post.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 02, 2012, 08:07:38 pm
one possible direction im thinking of going in for the websites look and feel.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:41:09 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 03, 2012, 02:40:39 pm
Hey man, I like the layout.  Looks very professional and clean.

One point though.. My feelings are that rather than having a wall of text,  short concise phrases with images might draw people in more.  You could have sections on further pages that viewers can click to that will give them more detailed info maybe.

Powerful, Flexible Streamline Modeling tools.
Seamless Viewport Navigation & Modeling Combined.
Model the way YOU want.
Deep Customization of tools.
Realtime Symmetry anywhere in World Space.

That sort of thing with nifty graphics to compliment the blurb.  Blurb is there to grab people's attention then they read further.

Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 03, 2012, 02:51:44 pm
ya agreed, problem is atm i got almost no graphics to work with. also some video showcase features that i can link in would be pretty sweet too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:57:28 pm by Passerby »

• Triangle
February 05, 2013, 02:25:32 pm
Now, that NVil gets sold to customers, this topic should be of prime interest to the developer/s again. As a user, I think the website is lacking substantial information about the software. In my thread "What I like & what I don't" http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,448.0.html everything that has a plus sign in front of it is something I dig. Often it's some detail, but maybe it's of some use. I'm far from having touched every aspect of NVil.
I wouldn't say NVil is an app easy to get into. The documentation stays behind the capailities of the software. It's definitely for professional use, but has a low price point.
I would suggest to start taking videos from beginner level to pro. Since we all know, how beginner vids look like (this is 3d space, this is a cube, this is how you navigate and where you find stuff), intermediate and pro tips should concentrate on which tools are there, how to set them up and how to use them.
I often judge software by the results, the users have come up with. I haven't seen anything, as well as not having produced anything worth showing. I was mostly testing stuff on abstract objects. Maybe a contest would produce some nice footage by the users. The authority argument could be useful as well in promoting the software. Get some testimonials from professionals in the industry, that work at notable companies. I'm getting off-topic...
I believe, if you start a contest and people start using NVil for real projects, they will soon learn which features in NVil were the most useful and time saving, maybe worth spending your money on.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2013, 02:16:14 am
ya i was considering recording some tut videos at one point, for the site, but never got to it, since to do so i would need to re-learn the app since my config is pretty different from stock nvil, and just have been lacking time with my 14 hours a day of work.

if i had time i would try to work closely with istonia and re-do a lot of the site.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2013, 04:18:14 am
passerby, I think it could be a good idea to have a 'Feature Videos' section in the forum.

People can record a short video to show off a feature that he likes a lot. Especially the features requested by a particular person. It is not for tutorial but rather advertising. It shows what the feature can do and how easy it can be used. For example, you can make a vid for double loop cut while vaquero can make one for tweak tool with realtime soft selection control.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2013, 04:24:39 am
I often judge software by the results, the users have come up with. I haven't seen anything,.....

I have posted some models, although I admit they where simple models I made while learning NVIL.

Do you have a model or type of model in mind that would show off NVIL? I do not mind building models as long as they are not human forms (or known animals).

• Triangle
February 06, 2013, 12:43:19 pm
Hey steve, I was looking at some of your work in your thread Bits'n'Pieces. There's some cool stuff there, especially the flexible tubes, and complex bended geometry, that would be hard to achieve in other software packages. But it's all out of context. If you could come up with a model or scene, that integrates those things, it would look great. The robot is nice, too. I think it doesn't matter what type of content is shown, but how elaborately it is made. The best models will be those, that you really enjoy working on. I think NVil is strong in both organic and anorganic forms, so variety is key. Silo, for example was only good for organic forms. If I can find the time, in a month or so, I will try to test NVil on a project myself. My guess is, it will be a ford mustang fastback (1965) of some kind (never did cars before).