News:

Topic: Object Clean_up tool  (Read 3180 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 30, 2014, 01:04:42 pm
Hi,

It as been mentioned on forum concerning an object clean up tool. I have put together a composite tool to try and accomplish that task. Unfortunately such a tool/function is prone to problems on very bad geometry, although I have checked many situations and made various changes to avoid issues, this tool should be used with some caution.

The composite tool:

What the tool does.

Save selection mode: [simply saves current selection mode]

Select polygons with overlapping faces: [Note:see this post concerning difference between faces and polygons ]

Optimize: [ will rewind vertex order and if needed tessellate]

Remove Isolated Vertices: [Remove vertex with no edges]

2-Edges Vertices closed: [select all vertex with 2 edges that do not lay on open edges]
Delete:

Select polygons with overlapping faces + Optimize:  [check for issues that may of been caused with removing 2 edge vertex from internal n-gon borders and if found optimize them]

P_math select Vertices with Open Edge Angle(*): [Select co-planer vertex on open edges. Set at 179deg]
P_math select Vertices with Edges(*): [remove vertex from selection that have more than 2 edges]
Delete:

P_Weld: [ Weld overlapping vertex /collapse short edges. I work to meters, so current setting = 0.0004, change as required]

Restores to selection mode active before tool called.

If any problems, please let me know.

Composite tool attached, you can load it into Nvil via "Composite > Import Composite Tools"

[There are some other situations that may need looking at, such as for example, non-planer quads. But current tools available for that are to select concave/convex quads with popup option to enter angle. We would need to request "P_" function for such task if to be placed in a composite tool]           

--------------------------------------
Composite tool updated, please see my next post on thread.
--------------------------------------         

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:15:50 am by steve »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
September 15, 2014, 05:52:03 am
Thank you.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 24, 2015, 02:00:11 am
Update.

I have come across a minor issue when using that composite tool on object with many vertex.

Example: I have an object with 64K vertex, the weld function can take several minutes to complete. I am not classing that as a bug, as Nvil is probably making some recursive search to ensure correct result.

Change: I have instead changed the vertex weld function to a short edge search/collapse, which on that same model only takes a second, and gives the same result.

Current value of edge_search (P_Math Select Edges with Length) set to 0.0005 (Will search for edges below that set size, change as required)

Tool attached.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:12:07 am by steve »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 05, 2015, 07:20:14 am
I just modify a bit this tool and add:
1. Save subobject selection and past subobject selection. (It will allow to back automaticly to selection that was before you run tool)
2. Added Autosmooth with 30 degree.

Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 05, 2015, 07:39:45 am
1. Save subobject selection and past subobject selection. (It will allow to back automaticly to selection that was before you run tool)

I did not add that due to the possibily the tool is used on more than one selected object.
If you have more than one object selected and use "Save subobject selection", you will get popup window with "Only one object must be selected for this operation".

---------------------------------
NOTE:
Nvil as of Mar-08-15 build, will now allow Sub_object_selection save/paste across multiple objects.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:34:05 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • Digital Mapping & Graphics
March 10, 2015, 02:32:50 pm
Nice!
Thanks Steve