News:

Topic: NIVL a short sumarize ;)  (Read 7327 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 16, 2014, 02:40:14 pm
... to make this really short:

Exept for a "MeshFusion" Plugin and a "Falloff" function NVIL is pretty much BOSS in SD-Modeling!

Damm it´s really that good!

Cheers!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 16, 2014, 03:38:41 pm
.......... and a "Falloff" function NVIL ............

Are you referring to "soft selection"? That is already in Nvil.(Blender refers to it as "Proportional editing)

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 16, 2014, 04:27:37 pm
Quote from: steve
Are you referring to "soft selection"? That is already in Nvil.(Blender refers to it as "Proportional editing)
I guess, what's meant is what Modo calls Falloffs, which isn't the same as soft selection. See here

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 16, 2014, 06:46:18 pm
Oh sorry... yes, it´s Modo´s falloff, meant that.

But like I said - NVil is just awesome  :D

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
June 16, 2014, 08:40:26 pm
Indeed it is  I dont even like the really hi poly output of meshfusion...although it is really cool to use.

Nvil just needs fulltime development.  I dont know what we can do to help.  I would even offer more $$ because I am using it 40hrs a week almost exclusively for the las 4 months. Has never crashed in the last month and I only use Maya for the complicated booleans that fail in Nvil.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 16, 2014, 09:19:59 pm
Indeed it is  I dont even like the really hi poly output of meshfusion...although it is really cool to use.

Nvil just needs fulltime development.  I dont know what we can do to help.  I would even offer more $$ because I am using it 40hrs a week almost exclusively for the las 4 months. Has never crashed in the last month and I only use Maya for the complicated booleans that fail in Nvil.

Don't know, also... would also pay a lot more... but I guess we will not see kind of "MeshFusion" or falloffs intruduced to NVil - but only imagine it would be absolute killer  ;)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 17, 2014, 09:57:04 am
I guess, what's meant is what Modo calls Falloffs,

Ah, right, sorry.

Is the "Falloffs" and "mesh_fusion" bound to underlying sub_d?

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 17, 2014, 12:09:38 pm
I don't own Modo but Mesh Fusion afaik does only work on subdivided meshes, so one could not feed in a box-primitive. One can do so with BoolTools in Blender though (a new Addon which delivers quite a bit of MF's interactive boolean control but doesn't deliver blended transitions)

I assume Falloffs (as also Soft Selection)need some geometry to work with. I too would be curious whether one is limited to the low res control cage or whether Falloffs also allow Manipulation on vertices of the uncollapsed subdivided mesh. The latter would be cool.

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 17, 2014, 02:40:43 pm

A number of us here on the forums have made such a mention at various times.  We know that Istonia needs a 64bit PC to push development of NVIL for those of us already on x64... maybe we could start some kind of a collective donations pool toward that goal?  I'm a bit skint, as usual, but could probably donate half of what I paid for NVIL again in a few weeks, and keep throwing a bit in the pot each month until we get there.  I dunno... just a thought.  BTW, I'm no good at setting things like that up, personally.  Any thoughts? 

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 17, 2014, 09:13:00 pm
I don't own Modo but Mesh Fusion afaik does only work on subdivided meshes, so one could not feed in a box-primitive. One can do so with BoolTools in Blender though (a new Addon which delivers quite a bit of MF's interactive boolean control but doesn't deliver blended transitions)

I assume Falloffs (as also Soft Selection)need some geometry to work with. I too would be curious whether one is limited to the low res control cage or whether Falloffs also allow Manipulation on vertices of the uncollapsed subdivided mesh. The latter would be cool.

Falloff works with all meshes (Sub-D x0, x2, ...) and it´s not limited to low res cage.
MFusion seems not to work with non Sub-D other meshes, than the pre-defined ones.
But have to check it again, maybe was my fault ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:54:48 am by Onkelpoe »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
June 18, 2014, 06:25:24 am
A number of us here on the forums have made such a mention at various times.  We know that Istonia needs a 64bit PC to push development of NVIL for those of us already on x64... maybe we could start some kind of a collective donations pool toward that goal?  I'm a bit skint, as usual, but could probably donate half of what I paid for NVIL again in a few weeks, and keep throwing a bit in the pot each month until we get there.  I dunno... just a thought.  BTW, I'm no good at setting things like that up, personally.  Any thoughts?

Damm - should have known that earlier - upgraded my old system, exchanged a few parts (CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU) could have donate that, instead of ebay-recycling...

But isn´t NVil already 64-bit?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:26:59 am by Onkelpoe »

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 18, 2014, 08:27:47 am
Quote from: Onkelpoe
Falloff works with all meshes (Sub-D x0, x2, ...) and it´s not limited to low res cage.
That's what I expected.
But what happens when one soft transforms a low res cage which has some levels of SubD applied?
Does it it only affect the cage-vertices or does it – temporarily – give access also to the "virtual
vertices" of the higher subD-levels? If that was the result should be cleaner.

• No avatar
  • Spline
June 18, 2014, 09:05:00 am
But isn´t NVil already 64-bit?

It is, but from what I've read in the bugs reporting section of this forum, I get the impression that it's not being developed or tested (except by users) on a 64bit system.  I know very little of the world of programming, but I think that since January 2014, NVil uses some kind of 64bit wrapper that allows it to access 64bit memory on a 64bit OS, but also continue working as a 32bit app for other OSes.  This has caused some additional challenges in squashing various bugs which may only affect 64bit users.  Steve and Istonia are much more fluent on this subject, though.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 18, 2014, 10:38:53 am
Hi polyxo,

I had a quick look at the "BoolTools". Looks interesting, as it uses the underlying carve csg booleans, but gives you simple ability to use multiple booleans in an interactive way, and automatically sets the booleans to wireframe. It does look currently limited to performing only one type of boolean at once, although I did not have much time to check very much. Will play again when time.

I was looking back to when Groboto first started to interact with Modo, with Groboto exporting various maps, some of which Modo used for weight maps with falloff (via scripts). Although they did add sub_d, I do not think it was actually needed. I think I need to have another look, my curiosity is getting the better of me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 18, 2014, 10:58:08 am
Hi JTenebrous,

This has caused some additional challenges in squashing various bugs which may only affect 64bit users.

There are certainly some bugs that I only see in 64 bit version, but the reason alludes me due to lack of information concerning Nvil dependencies. Nvil does not contain Manifest(sorry, I should of stated, have not found manifest that shows information concerning dependentAssembly), so it is quite possible for dll conflict (incorrect side_by_side assemblies loaded).

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:17:57 am by steve »