News:

Topic: Mesh cleanup Tool?  (Read 5639 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 12, 2014, 02:13:30 pm
hi there,

is there something like a "mesh cleanup tool"? (Filling holes, flip all normals in 1 direction, and so on) And I was looking for a "delete object history/set all offsets to zero and freeze", things like that ;)

best regards

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 12, 2014, 02:50:32 pm
Hello,

is there something like a "mesh cleanup tool"?
A single multi function tool, no.

(Filling holes, flip all normals in 1 direction, and so on) And I was looking for a "delete object history/set all offsets to zero and freeze", things like that ;)
There are various tools for performing specific functions. (in most cases they can be placed into a "Composite Tool" to automate process.

Filling holes: If the model should be closed, then it can be done using 2 tools:-
1. Edge mode > Selection > Open Edges
2. Edge mode > Geometry > Cap hole

Flip Normals:
1. Polygon mode(or object mode) > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Flip Polygon facing
2. Polygon mode(or Object mode) > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Unify Polygon facing

Delete Object History: There is the "undo/redo" stack, which can be cleared:-
1. Edit > Clear History

Set all offsets to Zero and Freeze. Not sure if I understand what you are looking for. There is:-
1. Object mode > Geometry > Reset base
2. Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Orientation
3. Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Scale
4. Mesh Mode > Geometry > Freeze (to lock mesh from selection)
You can also "Freeze(lock)" objects via "Object list"

--------------------------------

I have been looking at creating a composite "Clean up" tool, but have some issues currently if the object (being cleaned up) is not closed(if the model has intentional open edges). I have been looking for some workarounds, but I will probably need to request a couple of new tools/options before I can finish that clean-up tool.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 13, 2014, 06:59:15 am
Wow, thanks Steve!

Ok, so I am not too blind and there is no "one Button" solution yet. Hope you get it working some time...

For the freezing and zero thing:

Do you know blender? If so, I was looking for "apply rotation, apply location, apply scale" thing. If you know Modo I want to "center all" to 0,0,0 coords. And "Clear history" from Maya.

All that to make sure, the object has no attached offsets or the center is outside of it or have any other unwanted information/rotations/etc attached to it.

Cheers!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 13, 2014, 12:16:48 pm
Hi Onkelpoe,

Do you know blender? If so, I was looking for "apply rotation, apply location, apply scale" thing.
Apply Rotation =  Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Orientation
Apply Scale     =  Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Scale
Apply Location = [There is not a specific "Freeze Location"] You can use the "Object mode > Geometry > Reset base" with options > Reset to Space: "World" / Reset Element: "Location Only" / Maintain mesh position (you can also "Apply Rotation" in that tool/function if required)

If you know Modo I want to "center all" to 0,0,0 coords.
As far as I know, that simply moves the object back to world 0,0,0.
In Nvil, I use the "Manipulation Window". If you LMB on any of the axis(letters), that will center the object on that axis. If you MMB on any of those axis(letters), it will "Center all" the object on all axis (see attached pic).

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 13, 2014, 01:53:00 pm
Ok, thanks a ton!

Now combine that into one "ultimate reset and cleanup button" = epic win, hehehehe

Cheers!

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 14, 2014, 04:58:27 pm
Quote from: steve
Apply Rotation =  Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Orientation
Apply Scale     =  Object mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Freeze Object Scale
Apply Location = [There is not a specific "Freeze Location"] You can use the "Object mode > Geometry > Reset base" with options > Reset to Space: "World" / Reset Element: "Location Only" / Maintain mesh position (you can also "Apply Rotation" in that tool/function if required)

Hi Steve,
could you maybe elaborate a bit more on the necessity of these freeze-operations?
I see that Blender has this concept too as well as Modo and others – but many programs do not work that way. Neither am I used anything similar from Nurbs programs (which I use most of the time) nor do digital sculpting apps work that way. Also doesn't have to think about permanently applying Transform operations in Silo – which is also a SubD Modeller.

So what are the reasons for this particular implementation, what may be advantages and negative consequences of not thinking of/not understanding how Transform operations are set up? Can one also work in ways inside Nvil so that any transform operations are automatically applied permanenty? At this point I only see things to be more complex in comparison to say Silo without at all understanding the underlying motivation.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 15, 2014, 09:04:28 am
Hi polyxo,

In Nvil as a pure modeling application, I do not think you need to concern about "freeze". The only time you may see a need for "Freeze[scale]", is if you have intentionally set an objects scale to non-uniform, as some tools/function work on the models underlying scale.

By default, if you change the size of an object uniformly, the objects scale increase uniformly, but if you change non-uniform( 1 or 2 axis), the scale remains at 1 (you can change that behavior, and have non-uniform scale also change the objects scale, by using "Modeling options > Toggle Manipulator Space Object Scaling Disabled").

In applications such as Blender, where you have bones/animation, then freezing the rotation of bones/objects can be useful.