News:

Topic: Version testing required  (Read 2761 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 10:31:54 am
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-06-15.rar

* Quite some coding optimizing is done which may cause some bugs.
  * "Second profile curve" and "Profile interpolate curve" options are added to spline "Slide" tool. The hot keys for picking these two curves in viewport are "F" and "I". The calculation for "Profile interpolate curve" is (Point_Sample.X - PointStart.X) / PointStart.X.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 12:24:54 pm
Hi IStonia,

Quite some coding optimizing is done which may cause some bugs.
Any particular area we should be testing/checking?

"Second profile curve" and "Profile interpolate curve"
I am not completely sure as to what I should expect. But the results can be confusing.

A quick test to show what I mean:-

I created 2 simple profiles. 1 = arc, 2= rectangle (<- second profile).

The "Interpolate curve", a simple line going from 1 unit(in x), to 2 units(in x) back to 1 unit.

The path, a closed circular spline.
With both profiles used with interpolation "Slide" around circular path, the result was what I would of expected. With the "Arc" at beginning of path, the "rectangle"(second profile) at mid_point of path, and the "Arc" at the end.

Where this starts to get strange, is if the "Interpolation" is changed. For example, I move the center vertex of the "Interpolation" spline, to 5 units(in X)

The result, is the "interpolation" scales and changes the profile shape of the second profile(rectangle).

I do not see the reason for scaling(options for scaling already available), and the changed shape is not consistent with either profile. Are am I missing something with the implementation / interpolation method?

On more testing, I do now see what you have done.
I was expecting a simple interpolation between the 2 defined profiles, but instead, it is a multiplication of the differences between the 2 profiles.

Have you an example of what this would be used for?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:59:02 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 06, 2015, 09:06:51 pm
There is no specific area for the testing. It's the whole program, even the import/export parts. The bug could be vertex position is not right or even crash.

--------------

for the interpolation, the equation is

A = (1 - k) * B + k * C.

where k = (Point_Sample.X - PointStart.X) / PointStart.X

If k value is outside of (0, 1) range, the result will be strange.

I don't have any sample purpose.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:13:40 pm by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 07, 2015, 06:22:31 pm
Hi IStonia,

With the new options for the "Spline > Slide" tool, I have not seen any issues. The tool does appear to function as implemented.

On general usage. I have seen a couple of problems, one where snapping stopped functioning while editing spline tangents, but that simply starting working again after changing spline vertex selection a few times(unable to repeat). The other, was an hotkey stopped functioning with a need to restart Nvil to get it to work again. The hotkey was "\" and set for "Set view focusing point", it as not been a problem before. Rather than the command working and showing top left of screen, the command did not function and "oem 102" was show. Again, have not been able to recreate the issue.

Booleans are still not functioning well. I really think you need to cut down on boolean options, and just have basics that actually work.

UV mapping can still cause Nvil exception/crash. Simple example. Bring up UV mapping for selection. Use "Pelt" to create UV's, close UV mapping window. On attempted exit from Nvil, exception popup window(text attached), Nvil will keep showing that exception on each attempt to close Nvil. A need to kill process in task manager.

I will keep testing.

---------------------------

Have just seen a later build on another thread. So I have wasted my time checking this build.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:37:30 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 10, 2015, 11:08:23 am
Thanks for testing!

I don't think you have wasted your time. The changes between the two versions are very little.

The UV Map bug is fixed.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 14, 2015, 08:26:14 am
With ref to this post. You changed the behaviour of window focus, but then changed it back. Now it is changed again, as any floating(not docked) window will keep focus.