News:

Topic: Retopo - Snap Selected to Surface?  (Read 4015 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 12, 2013, 02:50:08 pm
Hello all, I haven't been around here much in the last year.  I have a quick question about Retopo Mode.

Is there a way to shrinkwrap selected sub-object geometry to the Reference Objects?  I seem to remember that this was possible, way back before it was released as Nvil but I could be mistaken.

Even better would be to change the surface snapping from screen projection to raycast.  Is this possible?

tia.

p.s. Just noticed something weird.  If you select a bunch of edges and hold Shift + RMB you can Tweak Normal move and the geometry will shrinkwrap to the underlying Reference mesh...

..but Ctrl + LMB - Tweak, it will use camera projection snap.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:40:50 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 13, 2013, 09:36:11 am
Hello all, I haven't been around here much in the last year.  I have a quick question about Retopo Mode.

Is there a way to shrinkwrap selected sub-object geometry to the Reference Objects?  I seem to remember that this was possible, way back before it was released as Nvil but I could be mistaken.

Even better would be to change the surface snapping from screen projection to raycast.  Is this possible?

Suobject mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Align.

p.s. Just noticed something weird.  If you select a bunch of edges and hold Shift + RMB you can Tweak Normal move and the geometry will shrinkwrap to the underlying Reference mesh...

..but Ctrl + LMB - Tweak, it will use camera projection snap.

It is intentional. Why do you think it is weird?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
December 20, 2013, 10:46:35 am
Thanks Istonia.

RE: Tweak camera projection.  I quite often use soft selection and Tweak combo to conform an existing model to a higher resolution mesh.  With camera projection, sometimes the soft selection will go around the back of the model will snap all the backfacing vertices to the front of the model.  This is the worst kind of result for this type of tool.

Having the option to switch between Camera Projection & Vertex Normal align would be ideal for the Tweak tool.

BTW.  Is there a command to snap all selected geometry (with falloff soft selection) to underlying Reference Mesh?
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Polygon
December 20, 2013, 11:36:18 am
Hi ghib,

I do not use Tweak for shrink_wrap. I would suggest you look at:-

Streamline Basic Tools:-> Generic Tools-> Surface Align-> [where you will find]  "Surface_Align_VertexNormal" and "Surface_Align_ViewDirection"

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 22, 2013, 09:03:52 am
The two commands are added.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
January 07, 2014, 03:26:56 pm
Hi steve, thanks for the reply and sorry for such a long delay.  I have been pretty busy all of last year.  Unfortunately your solution didn't seem to give me the desired result.

Istonia, thanks so much for adding the two new commands,  they will come in very useful.

Would it be possible to also add an option to the Tweak tool to snap to surface normal of Reference mesh?
*edit* I just noticed that it would be nice if there was a global option to switch between projection/normal snapping (possibly on the Retopo Reference List somewhere) which works on all manipulation tools.  e.g. Move/Rotate/Scale/Tweak etc

thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:33:53 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist