News:

Topic: What is wrong...  (Read 3754 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 03, 2014, 12:24:04 pm
...when some or even all of my keys show an undesired sticky key behavior?

So that if I press F5 for Fullscreen for instant and then all my subsequent command entries don't work any more (even view manipulation) as the program thinks that I'm additionally pressing F5 (and can not interpret A+F5 when I want to create an extrusion). Pressing F5 again turns the stickiness off again - How can I control this function and how is this one intended to work generally? I understand the concept of sticky keys but I guess it doesn't make too much sense for commands like Fullscreen...

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 02:36:51 pm
It always puzzled me.

In my case it's mostly SHIFT. Sometimes other keys. What's strange is that this stickiness is carried over to other programs and I either have to hit ESC to "unlock it" or go back to NVil in order to see which key is stuck and hit it again to release it.

I have Windows sticky keys disabled.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 02:50:57 pm
I have reported before about keys/commands getting "stuck" (it was via e-mail), but I do not think IStonia could reproduce the problem.
(when I reported the problem, it was included with other problems I was/do have, and the reply put forward after many e-mails was that it must be my system/setup, as he could not reproduce).

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 03, 2014, 03:19:56 pm
Hi rubberduck, Steve,
I was strictly under the impression that this was a feature I was using wrong. Good to hear at least that I'm not alone with this. Making things reproducible is probably harder in Nvil as in most other apps as I guess Istonia had to load all user settings and then even do exactly the same in exactly the same context.
This one is worth hunting down though - as it causes all sorts of malfunctions - also it's quite difficult to at all figure out what's going on. If one doesn't display the HUD and has a close look at the keys which actually get pressed one is probably lost. One would not expect that the program considers keys pressed which aren't pressed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:23:55 pm by polyxo »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 03:35:46 pm
Hi polyxo,

For me (on my setup), the easiest way to reproduce is by pressing "Alt+Spacebar" (there are various times I do that by accident). The HUD then shows the "Space Alt" as pressed until I press "space" and then "Alt"(or "Alt" then "Space").

Many other times is it usually after working for a while in Nvil, and keys/commands can simply get "Stuck" (single hotkeys, such as "C"(cut) ), but that can be difficult to escape from, even having to re-start Nvil at times.

This problem I see if using my own config, or a new config.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 03, 2014, 04:17:56 pm

For me (on my setup), the easiest way to reproduce is by pressing "Alt+Spacebar" (there are various times I do that by accident). The HUD then shows the "Space Alt" as pressed until I press "space" and then "Alt"(or "Alt" then "Space").

Great! I can confirm this to happen here too. Let's see what IStonia has to say on this matter.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 04:24:54 pm
I just checked this combination and it gets stuck here too. I need to press ALT and Space separately to unlock it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 10:31:30 pm
Alt+Space is a bug and can be fixed. But I can't reproduce the F5 bug. polyxo, does it happen to F6/F7/... as well?

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 04, 2014, 12:20:22 am
Alt+Space is a bug and can be fixed. But I can't reproduce the F5 bug. polyxo, does it happen to F6/F7/... as well?
It's late here and I can't check this out any more today but as others pointed out too this stickiness may infect all sorts of keys, yes.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 04, 2014, 11:50:48 am
Please check with the new update.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 04, 2014, 01:58:30 pm
I still get the Alt+Space stickiness. Nvil assumes them pressed but these keys aren't touched while doing the screenshot. RMB (without any other key) is assigned to rotate camera but it obviously doesn't work with the two other key-presses registering.