News:

Topic: OBJ export: additional option - export objects as groups  (Read 3141 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2015, 06:14:56 pm
Hello IStonia.
I have a small request regarding exporting to .obj format.
Do you think it would be possible to create an option to export objects as groups instead of as objects?
For instance, in a scene consisting of a box and a cylinder, if this option is enabled, the .obj would export as:
Code: [Select]
g box
# (...)
g cylinder
# (...)
instead of how it exports now:
Code: [Select]
o box
# (...)
o cylinder
# (...)
The reason why I ask for this feature is simple. Whenever an .obj file is imported into Houdini as a surface operator, the program looks for .obj groups (g) to create primitive groups out of them. Of course all objects defined as "o" are imported, but as a whole -  meaning that if you import "o cube" and "o cylinder", you get a combined object that you'll need to separate into groups yourself.
Currently, I manually replace all occurrences of "o " string with "g " (with a text editor) - each time I export objects from NVil with the intention of importing them to Houdini. Sometimes I jump a lot between the two programs, so this feature would make life much easier.
Would you think it over when you have some free time to spare, please? ;)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2015, 06:46:48 pm
IMHO,

I think it would be easier for IStonia to simply change the "o" for a "g" in the exporter, rather than having to change UI
I do not think any 3d programme has problems importing .obj vertex groups corrctly.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 17, 2015, 07:56:15 pm
IMHO,

I think it would be easier for IStonia to simply change the "o" for a "g" in the exporter, rather than having to change UI
I do not think any 3d programme has problems importing .obj vertex groups corrctly.
True, this would be easier. But what if exporting objects as .obj objects is part of someone's workflow? If suddenly NVil starts to export them as groups, this person's workflow would surely break. I wouldn't want that.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 18, 2015, 10:06:43 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-19-15.rar

I don't have time to check it.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 18, 2015, 12:05:48 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-19-15.rar

I don't have time to check it.
I gave it a test and works great so far. All objects are loaded into Houdini and separated into primitive groups. I was a little bit worried if having objects and groups in the same .obj wouldn't confuse 3D-Coat, but it turns out that it also loads the file without problems.
I have plenty of work to do today, so I'll be jumping between NVil, Houdini and 3D-Coat a lot. If I encounter some problems, I'll let you know.

And IStonia, thank you for you time! You're the best!
Marvellous support. :)