News:

Topic: Faster method of instancing?  (Read 5310 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 23, 2013, 01:26:19 pm
I was attempting to instance my mesh, it worked and all, but took around 30 minutes to long than it should...

What I did was instance it with array enabled with the flix X on and the array settings is X~2 instances with a dimension snap +/- depending on where it landed.

After it was created I would move it in space, move the pivot to a point I knew lined up on the adjacent meshes and then snap it together via vert snap.  There has to be an easier way, or should I just be mirroring for once?  If I knew how to freeze the absolute position of my mesh so it didn't move, but didn't have the values it currently has that'd probably speed it up, but I cant find anything in the help file.

In the picture I selected the mesh and that's the result of the instance, the meshs left side is already instanced, but that's the result I had still  :-\.

P.S. Is there a way to permanently change the pivot position on the fly?  I want to be able to set it to a vert or a place on the mesh or just anywhere for that matter, and stay there.  Currently if i set it to a place and move it, the pivot stays where i set it, so i need to snap it to place with one movement or keep moving the pivot.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:29:02 pm by mvolpa »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 27, 2013, 04:06:45 pm
Hi mvolpa,

Sorry, only just seen your post.

I was attempting to instance my mesh, it worked and all, but took around 30 minutes to long than it should...
Not sure I understand. Do you mean the way you created the instance took too long, or that the instance tool took too long to create the instance?

What I did was instance it with array enabled with the flix X on and the array settings is X~2 instances with a dimension snap +/- depending on where it landed.
For the "Instance"(when flipping/using for mirror) you need to check the objects pivot location. The "Dimension Snap" option is a distance based on objects bounded box size relative to its pivot location/orientation.
So if you have an object that you want to mirror using the "Instance" tool, it is advisable to set the objects pivot location first as needed. Here are 2 examples.
1: Using object "Pivot" tool. Set object pivot location/orientation to mirror line. Enable "Instance" tool and simply use the "Flip" option to flip the instance across the mirror axis.
2: If you are using the "Array enabled" + "Dimention snap" options, you should first set the objects pivot position/orientation to its bounded box center.

In the picture I selected the mesh and that's the result of the instance, the meshs left side is already instanced, but that's the result I had still  :-\.
The image is too small for me to see clearly what the result is, sorry.

P.S. Is there a way to permanently change the pivot position on the fly?  I want to be able to set it to a vert or a place on the mesh or just anywhere for that matter, and stay there.  Currently if i set it to a place and move it, the pivot stays where i set it, so i need to snap it to place with one movement or keep moving the pivot.
The objects pivot location is based on a set position relative to the object, so the objects pivot will alway move with the object.

If you want to set the manipulator to a location so it never moves, then you will need to set it to "World". You can change world origin/location by enabling/setting the workplane.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 28, 2013, 09:03:27 pm
Sorry about the image, It limits my pictures to 64 kb so I chose a small size.

That solved my instancing issues.

But for the pivot point issue I mean I want it to be in a position I set, but not stay in the spot exclusively.  In Maya when I need to move something on the fly or change the pivot so I can snap it to another mesh or something, I snap the pivot to a vert on the mesh, then snap the mesh to a vert an adjacent mesh.  While in Maya, I can snap the mesh where ever I want, and then go to another mesh and tweak it, then come back to my altered pivot mesh, and the pivot is still on the same vert.  To sum it up, if I make the pivot for the object at any given location, and I move the mesh 20 units up and across, the pivot follows.

In Nvil I have the problem of setting the vert to a position, and it's there in the world, it's not a smart pivot that remembers where it is and moves along with my mesh, forcing me to snap the mesh to the given point with one translation of the mesh instead of an infinite(Maya). 

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 28, 2013, 10:19:43 pm
To sum it up, if I make the pivot for the object at any given location, and I move the mesh 20 units up and across, the pivot follows.

In Nvil I have the problem of setting the vert to a position, and it's there in the world, it's not a smart pivot that remembers where it is and moves along with my mesh, forcing me to snap the mesh to the given point with one translation of the mesh instead of an infinite(Maya).

You need to set/use the objects pivot position.

To set the "Object Pivot", either use the "Visual tools-> Pivot" or set hotkey for "Streamline tool-> Object Pivot" or "Streamline Tool -> Object/Mesh Pivot". Using one of those tools, you can set the objects Pivot point. Once the object pivot point is set(you can set it anywhere, use snaps if needed), it will remain there for that object, and move with that object.(so if the set object pivot position for an object to one of its vertex, the object pivot will remain on that vertex where ever you move that object)
When the manipulator position is then set to "Object" and you select the object, the manipulator will take the position of the objects pivot.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 29, 2013, 05:24:55 am
Thanks Steve!  This was a major roadblock in my workflow until now!