News:

Topic: Tool name for Select Edgeloop  (Read 9132 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 03, 2012, 04:57:43 pm
Wouldn`t it be better to call the Loop edge tool select Edgeloop? The word Loop edge is pretty confusing. Same goes for Ring Edges or similar tools :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 03, 2012, 08:10:42 pm
Personally, I do not see why it is confusing.

Same goes for Ring Edges or similar tools

What about Hard Edges? that would be EdgesHard, or Open Edges would be EdgesOpen or Slash Edges would be EdgesSlash lol

I think having all edge commands starting with "Edge" would be a bit strange. Why have "Edge" in the name at all when they are edge commands, why not just call them "Loop", "Ring" etc

But seriously,
Why change command names that have been there possibly for 2 years?

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 07:50:33 am
Why change command names that have been there possibly for 2 years?

Why fix something broken or improve a tool at all? It has been around since years ;)

Why change it? Because it makes more sense in my eyes. It`s called select edge loop in lots of other apps because that is what the tool does. When i search for a tool to select an edge loop then i can be sure that i find a corresponding tool that has edge loop in the name. Blender, trueSpace, UU3d, Max, Silo, and so on, all the 3D apps i know talks about edge loop. Loop Edge sounds strange and misleading, and looks like the words are twisted.

Plus the word "select" would make the tools better stand out visually. And divides all the select specific tools from other tool groups like grow or shrink :)

At the moment it is inconsistent. Some tools already starts with Select. Like Select similar, or Select along symmetry centre. And some tools that also selects doesn`t contain this little word. All the looptools for example.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:58:28 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 02:40:03 pm
Why fix something broken or improve a tool at all? It has been around since years ;)
But the tool is not broken and re-naming does not improve the tool.

Why change it? Because it makes more sense in my eyes.
So for anyone who as been using the program for the last few years will just have to get used to the new names because you think the name should be changed!

It`s called select edge loop in lots of other apps because that is what the tool does. When i search for a tool to select an edge loop then i can be sure that i find a corresponding tool that has edge loop in the name. Blender, trueSpace, UU3d, Max, Silo, and so on, all the 3D apps i know talks about edge loop. Loop Edge sounds strange and misleading, and looks like the words are twisted.
There as been a thread on polycount for 2 years concerning this program, I have looked through most of it, and have not found (yet) anyone complaining about the naming of tools. So maybe it is just you?

I will agree to disagree, as I personally do not expect a programme that as been around far longer then I have used it to start changing its tools names.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 04:34:10 pm
But the tool is not broken and re-naming does not improve the tool.

That`s the part we will never agree i guess. Giving a tool a common and easy to understand name is definitely an improvement :)

So for anyone who as been using the program for the last few years will just have to get used to the new names because you think the name should be changed!

And further hundret thousands users has to bother with odd names because a few dozens didn`t want to learn new names? Names that are common in the 3D world in all other softwares? Honestly, i don`t really understand your resistance here :)

There as been a thread on polycount for 2 years concerning this program, I have looked through most of it, and have not found (yet) anyone complaining about the naming of tools. So maybe it is just you?

Yeah, maybe. But maybe all others simply don`t bother and move to something else?

Nvil is in development. When if not now is the time to make it as good as possible? And this includes a good and easy to use UI, with proper tool names.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 05:02:03 pm
Yeah, maybe. But maybe all others simply don`t bother and move to something else?

So because a tool is named "Loop edge" rather than "Edge loop" users are going to dismiss the application.
I suppose that is why I did not like learning the French language, I prefer to say "The black cat" rather than [translation]"The cat black", in my eyes, those French people really need to change that so millions of others will then learn the language.
ROFLOL

At the end of the day, it is up to IStonia if such changes are made. To me it makes no difference if the tool is called "Loop", "Loop edge" or "Edge loop" (or whatever) as long as the tool functions as it should.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 04, 2012, 05:57:51 pm
You don`t want to get the point it seems.

In every other 3D app select edge loop tool is simply called select edge loop. So who is wrong and french here? ;)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 07:10:49 pm
You don`t want to get the point it seems.
I thought the "Point" of a thread in a "Discussion" forum was for a discussion. Or should those having the discussion all agree on what you put forward?

In every other 3D app select edge loop tool is simply called select edge loop.
So now you are not stating it would be "Better"[to rename the tools], but should be done to conform to other applications.

I suppose I do find it strange that selecting an "edge loop" is actually that. Normally with applications you select a single edge, which is then expanded to select the rest of the edges that make up the loop of edges that the initial edge is part of. So would it not actually be correct after selecting a single edge, then for that edge to be expanded around that loop to be refereed to as "loop selected edge", or simply "Loop edge"?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:13:01 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 07:54:54 pm
Well, the best solution is to let people able to rename the tool names. Currrently, you can rename tools via radial menu customization. english, french, german, latin or what ever.

This recalls me a story where a couple fought over the naming of their child and the grandmother fixed it with a different name.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 04, 2012, 08:12:25 pm
This recalls me a story where a couple fought over the naming of their child and the grandmother fixed it with a different name.

On those terms, I would think it more like someone who as 2-3 year old child and someone says the child's name is not similar to other children`s names and they should change it. I say leave the name as it is.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 05, 2012, 08:03:23 am
I thought the "Point" of a thread in a "Discussion" forum was for a discussion. Or should those having the discussion all agree on what you put forward?

Isn`t that what we do at the moment? I have my point, you have your point, and we try to convince each other. Please don`t start to take this discussion personal.

So now you are not stating it would be "Better"[to rename the tools], but should be done to conform to other applications.

Both. It`s easier to adopt when you come from another app. The name "edge loop" is simply standard out there. And it`s easier to learn when the tool name mirrors what the tool does. Loop edge does not loop the edge, but select an edge loop. Even when you first need to select a single edge to do so.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
September 05, 2012, 08:30:52 am
Well, the best solution is to let people able to rename the tool names. Currrently, you can rename tools via radial menu customization. english, french, german, latin or what ever.

This deserves an extra answer. Imagine one renames the tool to loop select from current edge, another one to select edge loop. Another renames it to collect all edges around a ring. One renames it to cat, because he loves pets. Finally let`s introduce some german and french folks with their country specific renamings. And now let those people discuss how to select an edge loop ...

Customization is a fine thing. But is a two sided sword. People will not be able to talk to each other anymore when customization starts. That`s why my advice always goes to use the english version of a software for example, even when a german version is available. And to use the basic setup. That way you get the most out of support, you understand what is meant, and people understand you.

People are lazy anyways. Especially in 3D, where even the number of tools are enough to put  people into *tilt* mode for several weeks and months. At the beginning they usually use what is already available. And later they are simply used to do what they do and how they do, and don`t think about customization anymore. Such people like Steve and me who are willing to do heavy customizations to get out the max of a software are rare. That`s why it`s so important that the basic setup is the best you can achieve.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 08, 2012, 10:26:12 am
I would prefer not to make any changes in situations like this.