News:

Topic: Display  (Read 9747 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2012, 04:15:38 pm
Sorry, but I have to have another moan about the display, as it is really starting to irritate me now.

I am currently creating a simple model which is made up of about 25 parts. I select one of the objects, "Zoom to fit" then "Alt+RMB" to zoom to the section of the part I want to edit. Sounds simple enough, however,.. The "Zoom to fit" could certainly be better, but it does show the object in middle of view. I then "Alt+RMB" to zoom to the section of the part I want to edit and the "far clip" plane appear to move forward and clips of the back of the part, so I can no longer see the section I want to edit. I have tried manually setting the "Clip plane" distances, but it does not make any sense as to what it is doing, it certainly does not help, and does not work as with all the other applications I have used that have such a feature.

I have even tried using the "Set view Focusing Point" and "Selection Focusing" to try and bring in the clip plane, but that does not help either.

Having to constantly keep changing the view to get correct clip plane distance to view the part I want to edit is a real work-flow killer for me.

I really think (IMHO) NVIL needs to get an update to the display, using the discontinued MDX cannot be helping.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 23, 2012, 06:55:59 pm
How can you be sure it is MDX problem?

Can you send me a sample file and your clip plane settings?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2012, 07:37:32 pm
How can you be sure it is MDX problem?
NVIL is the only application I use having problems with display, so either it is directly NVIL, or it is the underlying use of MDX.

Can you send me a sample file and your clip plane settings?
I do not have any user clip plane settings, as all of my attempts to set them, none of the settings gave me a workable result.

I really do not understand how NVIL is working with the clip planes. With all other 3d applications I use, I set a "Near clip plane" which clips the front of anything that is within that distance to the camera, and set a "Far clip plane" which clips the back of anything that goes that distance away from the camera, and it works giving expected results. But even when using the auto settings in NVIL, I zoom in and the back clipping plane moves forward and clips away the back of the model. Here is an example screen grab:-

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 23, 2012, 08:27:58 pm
If you use the auto option, it is my coding. It computes the near plane and far plane base on the camera position and the focusing point poisition. So if you zooming, the far plane will move forward to make near plane position and far plane position proportional to ensure proper rendering result.

In your case, you should use clip plane manual setting option. It should work. If the far plane moves when you adjust the near plane, adjust the far plane again. This is a computaion precision issue, if the far plane is too far away from the near plane, the set value will become unrelyable.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 23, 2012, 09:41:39 pm
In your case, you should use clip plane manual setting option. It should work.
It does not work.

If the far plane moves when you adjust the near plane, adjust the far plane again. This is a computaion precision issue, if the far plane is too far away from the near plane, the set value will become unrelyable.
As I am trying to get close to the model, to add detail, I need a low value "Near clip plane", but that makes the "Far clip plane" clip off the model far too close. It does not matter as to what distance I then increase the "far clip plane", it make no difference to view distance. The only way to then increase the far clip plane distance is to increase the "Near clip plane", but of course that then clips away the front of the model when I try to zoom in to edit.

So for me to use a manual clip plane distance, I would need to keep the clip plane options open and keep adjusting the "Near clip plane" distance, otherwise the model disappears when zooming out, or I cannot zoom in close enough to make edit. It is not usable.

As example: The model I was building in NVIL is to scale. It total(all parts) bounded box size is 400 x 12.5 x 1154. I select all parts and "Best fit". I change the clip size values until I see all the model, in this attempt it is "Near= 102" and "Far=3866". If I then decrease the "Near" to 28, which clips the far, I then have to increase the "Far" to 253444 to see all the model. If I decrease the "Near" below 28, the far clip plane again moves forward, but increasing the "Far" as no effect.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:46:05 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 24, 2012, 12:44:31 pm
Should be fine now.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 24, 2012, 10:37:33 pm
Hi IStonia,

The Auto Settings work better, I can now get reasonable clipping, and the "set view focusing point" now does appear to re-set the auto clipping correctly.
I see you have added extra settings for "Auto" with a note of explanation, thanks.

How then does the manual clip plane settings work, as they do not appear to work the same? (just curious).

Many thanks for the bug fix.

Regards,

-Steve

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 24, 2012, 11:18:09 pm
How then does the manual clip plane settings work, as they do not appear to work the same? (just curious).

I don't know. My imagination is that if a user wants to use this option, he must know the size the scene he is working on and the clipping range it requires most of the time. Once setup properly, he can then just forget about it. Or maybe you just use it occasionly when the Auto option does not work.
It is just an alternative option. I think the Auto option should work fine in most cases.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 28, 2012, 05:45:20 pm
I think the Auto option should work fine in most cases.

The auto option now appears to be working great. I am using it in conjunction with "Set view focusing point" and "View Rotation Pivot style -> CameraFocusPoint" and getting a really smooth work_flow now.

Excellent. Many thanks,

Best Regards,

-Steve