News:

Topic: Creation of edges, and using edges for spline-like functionality  (Read 4362 times)

• Edge
May 31, 2013, 10:00:48 am
Hey guys,

There are a lot of tools I miss when working with splines, and it reminds me of how Silo solved it. They just had edges instead of splines (although I'm not asking for the removal of splines, of course), which worked surprisingly well.
It meant you got all the tools you were used to from working with edges, and with (non-destructive) subdivision they came amazingly close to actual splines.

This would also mean people's hotkeys would carry across, so there would be less of a learning-curve.

Also, at one point Kun said having multiple non-finalised spline slides would be possible, is that still coming?

• Edge
May 31, 2013, 10:14:31 am
Playing around with splines some more: even 'add' doesn't really work satisfactorily. It doesn't take into account my selection to determine which side it starts at, for instance, which is frustrating.

• Edge
May 31, 2013, 10:52:26 am
And splines disappear if you save as dae and reload. Wish I knew that before I closed nvil *facepalm*.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 31, 2013, 11:35:12 am
ya as i mentioned in the subd creasing thread, nvil has the problem of having no way to export out some of what it supports.

also general rule of thumb for any app, always keep versions of of your files in the native formate too

And splines disappear if you save as dae and reload. Wish I knew that before I closed nvil *facepalm*.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 31, 2013, 12:02:16 pm
Hi mightypea,

Playing around with splines some more: even 'add' doesn't really work satisfactorily. It doesn't take into account my selection to determine which side it starts at, for instance, which is frustrating.

Add should be adding to the end of the spline. You can see which is the end (of the spline) by the different shaped vertex markers (the size of the spline vertex can be changed in "preference-> General")
There is the spline_vertex option "Reverse" to change direction of the spline, which will change(swap) the start/endpoint positions.

• Edge
May 31, 2013, 12:28:42 pm
Yeah, I figured that out, but that's just not very good. And not to mention, it feels like a completely different mode from regular modeling. Which brings me back to the main point of this thread: using edges like splines. Without replacing splines, I think it would be a great addition to the toolset. It doesn't mean we should stop trying to improve the splines, but it does come with a lot of improvements for 'free', as they're just inherited from regular modeling.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 31, 2013, 12:40:03 pm
Which brings me back to the main point of this thread: using edges like splines.

Have you an example?

• Edge
June 03, 2013, 09:19:34 am
Have a go at Silo 2 if you want to try, that's what they use instead of Splines. Really there's not much to explain, aside from the fact they're used for all spline-based actions like sliding/extruding geometry across a line. a series of edges functions just like a linear spline, and with (non-destructive) subdivision it becomes like a simple spline (but you can't recreate advanced bezier curve behaviour with the handles).

I'd rather work with something like that and all tools (bevel and all its variations, extrude, cut, duplicate...) intact than with a limited spline toolset.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 03, 2013, 03:37:30 pm
Have a go at Silo 2 if you want to try, that's what they use instead of Splines.
Unfortunately I have only looked briefly at Silo a few years ago, so do not know the application and do not have time to learn it. I will guess it works similar to Hexagons poly_lines/curves which are great. I still go back to Hexagon for those tools (and the surface creation tools).

• Edge
June 03, 2013, 05:52:57 pm
Ah, that's right, you landed on the other side of the 'cool poly-modeling tools that were sadly abandoned'-coin :D

I can't say whether it's similar to what Hexagon had, though.