News:

Topic: Mirror splines  (Read 3960 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 12:34:13 am
A command to mirror splines would save a lot of time when creating, well... symmetrical splines.
Currently it requires grid snapping and counting a lot of grid lines.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 12:38:00 am
Can you give me an example of the initial spline and the expected mirrored result?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 12:44:35 am
Of course. Actually this was done with duplicating the spline, rotating it 180 deg and joining it with the original spline instead of "grid counting" I mentioned in my initial post.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 12:59:17 am
You can use these steps

1. Duplicate the spline.
2. In vertex mode use the 'Flip' tool to flip the new spline.
3. Go to object mode and select the two objects.
4. Go back to vertex mode.
5. Select two end vertices then Geometry > Spline Commands n Tools > Join Splines.

That should be faster than grid counting.

I will see if I can make a special tool for this.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 01:03:52 am
Okay, but how about this?
P.S. Green line represents mirroring plane.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:09:54 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 01:07:21 am
I'm aware that I can do "mirroring" using flipping or rotation + join tool. I mentioned it in my second post. The thing is this could be automated into painful one or two click process. :) Every routine necessary is already in NVil.
Think of it like of a macro.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:08:54 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 06:06:54 am
Okay, but how about this?
P.S. Green line represents mirroring plane.

I extrude the spline, mirror the new geometry, create spline from edges.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 02:31:36 pm
:-[ I have to apologise you IStonia for this thread. Looks like I was wrong when I claimed that I'm aware of the Flip tool. I must have thought about some different flipping command, because the Flip you mentioned is exactly what I needed and it's super fast to mirror the spline with it. I guess I have to take a day off.

Steve, by "extrude" do you mean SplineVertexTools->Slide or there are some other commands to extrude the spline? Also what will happen to custom tangents that, let's assume, are on the original spline? I think the new curve wouldn't have them?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 03:04:15 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

Steve, by "extrude" do you mean SplineVertexTools->Slide or there are some other commands to extrude the spline?
Basic streamline tools-> "Generic Tools-> Spline Extrude"

Also what will happen to custom tangents that, let's assume, are on the original spline? I think the new curve wouldn't have them?
You would lose them with Spline_vertex "Joint" anyway.

For a spline with custom tangents. You would need to slide the spline with enough segments and [option]"Create Spline" from that slide. Then delete the created geometry and the old spline, then work from there.

The splines/spline tools could be improved. There is a need for various workarounds. I have not made any requests (for spline tool changes) as I did not know if others where using them, or if it would be a lot of extra work for IStonia to implement.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:15:11 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 18, 2013, 03:35:56 pm
Basic streamline tools-> "Generic Tools-> Spline Extrude"
Wow, thanks! I was looking for something like this.