News:

Topic: 64-bit Version Test  (Read 26736 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 12:06:16 am
Yes, it is the same program and it is an automatically thing depends on the target CPU.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 12:09:18 am
I feel a little lag using the 64-bit version, like when I extrude or use any streamline tools nVil will lag for a moment.

Does it happen even if you are just working on a simple cube?

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 08, 2014, 03:16:11 am

Does it happen even if you are just working on a simple cube?
[/quote]

Yes.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 04:22:59 am
Can you make a clip to show how it happens?

Edit: Can you reboot your pc and see if it will get better?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:28:50 am by IStonia »

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 08, 2014, 04:55:24 am
I did reboot it and nothing got better, I don't think I can make video because when I try to record I lag somewhat. BTW it happens when I first use the streamline tool but when I use it for a second time it does not lag, its like it is caching the streamline tool at first.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 08, 2014, 02:03:16 pm
While work continues on making NVIL 64bit, are there plans to introduce any elements of multi-threading capability?  I ask this because I can open my task manager while running NVIL and see that it runs one thread at nearly full capacity most of the time (13% CPU usage on my i7 with multithreading enabled = 100% of one thread out of a possible 8 ), even in a scene with just a cube... just seems a bit of a shame that the other 87% of my resources are going largely unused.  I know that this is not unique to NVIL or anything - the CAD programs I run still continue to expand their multithreading capability year after year.  And, to be fair, NVIL x64 is running well for me so far in my very limited testing.  Right now, even with a completely empty scene, I can make one thread of my i7 reach max load just by going to quad viewports in NVIL and waving the mouse around wildly for a few seconds - is that expected?

**Update1** Ha!  Might help if I use the Edit>Options>SetNumberOfProcessors to greater than 1! :)
**Update2** Drats - it doesn't appear to work.  If I set the number of processors to greater than 1, I don't notice my CPU usage increase beyond what it did before.  If I restart NVIL, my number of processors returns back to 1 - my modified value is not saved.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:34:58 pm by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:41:40 pm
This is a video that shows:
- short lag when using extrude for the first time during the session (it also occurs in the first use of: inc/dec subdivision, toggle subdivision, creation of any primitive and probably in more functions);
- brief flicker when opening material editor for the first time during the session.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/39ytsyexe2ntz9z/delayExtrudeFlickerMaterialsEditor.mkv
It's nothing serious of course.

Arvin, do you get those delays once per session or every time you use extrude tool?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:56:31 pm
- brief flicker when opening material editor for the first time during the session.

Yes, I am still seeing that. I also see it after I have created a primitive.

For example:-

(material window is un-docked and closed). Start Nvil.

Bring up material window: Screen flicker.
Close material window.
Create "Box"
Close material window.
Create "Sphere"
Close material window.
Create "different type of primitive not created before"

I did put the material window back to docked/pinned to stop the problem, but I had forgotten how irritating it can be waiting those 2-3 seconds for the pinned windows to scroll back, and while scrolling back stopping other functions such as (for simple example) vieport navigation and moving objects.

-----------------

After trying some different configs for Material window position, I had it docked under "Scene Explorer"(scene explorer docked to left). After closing the material window I can no longer bring it back, it should re-appear docked again, but it does not show at all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:28:02 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 06:25:47 pm
Yes, I am still seeing that. I also see it after I have created a primitive.
For example:-

(material window is un-docked and closed). Start Nvil.
Close material window.
Create "Box"
Close material window.
Create "Sphere"
Close material window.
Create "different type of primitive not created before"
I just tried this Steve, but on my configuration I only get one screen flicker from the material editor - when I open it for the first time.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 06:30:12 pm
I just tried this Steve, but on my configuration I only get one screen flicker from the material editor - when I open it for the first time.

I am starting to think this is yet another problem due to my using (docked) custom windows/toolbars. I will look at a new config.

Thank you for testing.

-----------------------

Yes, another problem due to docked custom windows/toolbars. I have had similar problems with the toolbars for a long time now. IMHO, the UI really needs work.

-----------------------
It appears that the material window is now lost with my current config. How very irritating.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:04:41 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
January 10, 2014, 01:26:12 am
I do not use because of the slow release NVIL and clamped in the "W" of a second thought before you move http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoFtjFi4bm0&feature=youtu.be

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 10, 2014, 02:47:56 am
Thanks for the video. I think you may have this option on, Edit > Options > Real time selection enabled. For heavy scene, this option should be turn off. Otherwise it will cause performance problem in marquee selection. Yeah, multi threading currently is not available.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 10, 2014, 09:37:51 am
Also turn off this option will help, Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection Enabled.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
January 10, 2014, 03:15:10 pm
Thank you, yes there is a significant performance boost, but it is not enough for kanfortnoy work. Thank you so much, I waited a very long program's 64bit version, nadeyu soon be able to use it for work.

• Edge
    • 3ddmd
January 12, 2014, 02:50:06 pm
Everything seems to be working well here ... no flickering that I've noticed so far with the latest release (Jan 11, 2014).

Win 8.1 64bit, Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.7 GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD6950.