News:

Topic: 64-bit Version Test  (Read 26741 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 03, 2014, 03:39:02 pm
Ok, I see this now for the first time. Looks like a resolution issue, no?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 03, 2014, 10:29:58 pm
There's a lot of flickering when opening the material editor for the first time during the session.

I was looking at this more closely.
It appears that when the material editor is enabled (this is from the "View-> windows"), the viewport goes blank 3 times (it changes quickly between drawn -> blank -> drawn -> blank -> drawn -> blank -> drawn). It does happen very quickly, that is why it looks like screen flicker.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
January 04, 2014, 12:03:49 am
IStonia

With latest build(Jan 03) all previous files are now loading and the program seems to be running okay.  Will let you know if I find any further problems.

Thanks
Mal

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 04, 2014, 11:49:50 am
Another update. Some improvement in keyboard handling. The loading time should be a little bit shorter.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jan-04-14.rar
Prerequisites : A need to download/install end user runtime(for slimDX) http://slimdx.org/download.php (the .net 2 download)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 04, 2014, 01:50:17 pm
The loading time is 11 seconds now, so there is some improvement.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 06, 2014, 02:13:50 pm
Just wanted to quickly pop in and say - "Nvil x64!!! Woohoo!!!"  Yeah, I'm at work and busy with other 3d tasks, but I did quickly import a(decimated)40k poly ZBrush model over to NVIL and toy around with Retopo mode for a few seconds.... and just, wow, I'm really excited to properly try this out later on.  Before, due to poly constraints, retopo in NVil was never an option for me... but now, I'm getting very excited to think about the possibilities.  Cheers ~J

*Update* Hells yeah - just tried again, and so far having no problems retopo-ing a 2m poly head model imported from ZBrush.  Be sure to turn off edge visibility on the retopo reference mesh to save viewport performance.  Also, I tried to import an 8million poly model, just for kicks, and had no luck... NVil didn't crash (which is better than I expected tbh), but it didn't display the model and it ran itself up to ~12gigabytes of ram.  Anyhow - I don't have any existing projects where I'd expect to need to bring in a model that large... that was more for just testing limits.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:05:24 pm by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 06, 2014, 09:05:57 pm
JTenebrous, if you also "Freeze" the reference object, you will get better performance in view navigation. Once the object is freezed, user can not interact with it through viewport so a lot of viewport related computation is not required.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 01:37:24 am
Okay, I get a short blink in two cases (once per NVil session):
1. If I press ALT for the first time during the session. I use ALT for Maya-like navigation.
I was also seeing the same, but now also see it after bringing up other windows (such as, for example, the spline option window or the instant help window. Bringing up those windows also gives screen flicker).

I was hoping this problem would be of been fixed, instead it is now worst on my setup.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:42:07 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 03:13:10 am
It doesn't happen to me at all. Does it happen only once?. Try load two NVils and see if it happens to the two at the same time.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 03:59:42 am
It doesn't happen to me at all.
Have you checked Nvil on win7 64 bit windows yet?

Maybe it is a similar mystery as the "Tab" key. It works on your setup, but not on other setups of users who posted to thread about the problem.

Does it happen only once?.
That is how it appeared to be in earlier builds of Nvil 64bit. But in the latest version it is happening more frequently. It is quite irritating after a short while.

Try load two NVils and see if it happens to the two at the same time.
Only flicker in one.

Have been playing more. If I do not press the "Alt" key at all, then there does not appear to be a problem. If for example, I use the alternate navigation keys, then it is OK. But if I press the "Alt" key, then I get screen flicker(screen going blank for a split second), it then makes using the "Box" tool(from visual tools) cause a screen flicker, then if I press "Alt" again after the creation of the box, again screen flicker.

Here is a very quick vid showing the issue.

It is a new config, new session.
The screen flickers(goes blank for a spit second) when I:-

Press "Alt"
Create "Box"
Press "Alt" again
Create "Spline"
Press "Alt" again.

https://www.mediafire.com/?8bkd106hrsk6tbt

To add:-

It certainly does look like a problem with the "Alt" key.
Probability is that when you changed the key handling due to the bug with "Alt" + "Space" sticking, that as increased the problem with the "Alt" key.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:14:15 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 06:20:25 am

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 06:51:08 am
That is now looking good.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 07, 2014, 11:21:46 am
Thanks IStonia!
Most of the flickering is gone now, but there's still some when opening Material Editor for the first time. NVil window goes blank once and then it redraws.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 07, 2014, 12:29:30 pm
I feel a little lag using the 64-bit version, like when I extrude or use any streamline tools nVil will lag for a moment.

• Triangle
January 07, 2014, 11:17:09 pm
How do I know which version I am running? I'm running NVil on Win8 64Bit. So is automatically in 64bit mode?