News:

Topic: Target weld of two edge loops?  (Read 3675 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 28, 2015, 06:04:33 pm
Hello.
I'm looking for something like Vertex_Weld, but working with two edge loops.
I'd like to select one source edge loop, then the target edge loop and weld source to target. There is a Weld 2 Loops tool, but it welds them at an averaged position.
Is there something like this in Nvil?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:13:40 pm by rubberDuck »

• Triangle
July 28, 2015, 10:25:52 pm
There is something like this in Nvil. But its awesome weld tool is hidden inside the retopo tool.
I'm just wondering why you don't just delete the loop that should get welded to the target.

Anyway, here's how you can utilize retopo for this:
case 1: only selected edges
Select the edges you want to weld (you may also use the suspend retopo hotkey to change selection while in retopo tool), hold down the A key and click&drag the selected edges (you ay release A now) and move them close to the target, then hit the W key to weld them.

case2: loop
in retopo mode hit the S or D key and click&drag an edge loop close to the target, then hit the W key. Again, you may release the S or D key once you started dragging.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:28:35 pm by Vaquero »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 28, 2015, 10:46:09 pm
Hello Vaquero. Thanks for responding.
There is something like this in Nvil. But its awesome weld tool is hidden inside the retopo tool.
I'm just wondering why you don't just delete the loop that should get welded to the target.
I can't, because it's a border edge loop. :)

Anyway, here's how you can utilize retopo for this:
case 1: only selected edges
Select the edges you want to weld (you may also use the suspend retopo hotkey to change selection while in retopo tool), hold down the A key and click&drag the selected edges (you ay release A now) and move them close to the target, then hit the W key to weld them.
I have all of the default keys remapped, so they do completely different things on my NVil instance. Because of this I cannot reproduce this case. What the "A" key is supposed to do by default? Is the "W" key bound to "Weld to Nearest" subobject tool?

in retopo mode hit the S or D key and click&drag an edge loop close to the target, then hit the W key. Again, you may release the S or D key once you started dragging.

I hope this helps.
Unfortunately case #2 causes an unhandled exception. I tried it on a box with three vertical edge loops and the second upper face loop removed. I tried to merge the resulting upper border edge loop with the lower one and wham:
Code: [Select]
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.BasicItemSelection.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.SelectionHolder.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.get_ViewRotationCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AbstractGraphicWindow.set_viewNavigateType(ViewNavigateType value)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.OnMouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.AbstractGraphicWindow.CursorClerk.OnMouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Nvil 2015-Jul-21

• Triangle
July 29, 2015, 02:38:28 pm
I have all of the default keys remapped, so they do completely different things on my NVil instance. Because of this I cannot reproduce this case. What the "A" key is supposed to do by default? Is the "W" key bound to "Weld to Nearest" subobject tool?
First you start the retopo tool "Common Modeling Shortcut Tools->Retopo" (that is not the retopo mode which you don't need for this. Then with the tool active the A, S, D, W keys and some others are hardcoded and cannot be changed, unfortunately. If you use this in conjunction with the "Toggle Visual Tool Suspended" shortcut it works quite good. See the help for more detailed information on the retopo tool.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:40:02 pm by Vaquero »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
August 07, 2015, 10:37:16 am

I hope this helps.
Unfortunately case #2 causes an unhandled exception. I tried it on a box with three vertical edge loops and the second upper face loop removed. I tried to merge the resulting upper border edge loop with the lower one and wham:
Code: [Select]
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.BasicItemSelection.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.SelectionHolder.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.ModelDesigner.TransformManager.get_SelectionCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.get_ViewRotationCenter()
   at DigitalFossil.AbstractGraphicWindow.set_viewNavigateType(ViewNavigateType value)
   at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignGraphicWindow.OnMouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at DigitalFossil.AbstractGraphicWindow.CursorClerk.OnMouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Nvil 2015-Jul-21

This is a bug. Can you make a video to reproduce it so I can fix it?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 11, 2015, 12:01:00 am
Hello IStonia. No matter how hard I try, I cannot reproduce the crash. I guess I must have done something extraordinary to make the program go down. :-\