News:

Topic: Just purchased  (Read 3547 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
March 29, 2015, 06:07:05 pm
Greetings all,

Only to say that I've just purchased nvil, congrats for your great software!
One question, how is this soft capable with large scenes (hig poly)?

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 29, 2015, 08:30:26 pm
You can handle around 100 thousand polys in a scene.  To many objects will introduce a lot of slow down. I have some scenes that are pretty dense....

Best habit is to blockout your scene, and then model to the point of slowdown, then separate assets into smaller scenes.

Nvil has all of the tools, (and more!) of a major app, but this is one of the weak points.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 30, 2015, 12:30:39 am
I have been able to handle near 1 millions Poly's, though I got a lot of ram and a very powerful CPU.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 30, 2015, 05:51:02 am
After 500 000 polys it become harder to work, Undo works slow, sub-d too, but view port works about 90 fps.
I Also have powerful PC.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 30, 2015, 12:03:53 pm
I'm interested in this topic also.

I've just embarked upon a project to further my knowledge of hard-surface modelling and a bit curious as to how many polys I'll be able to chuck around in Nvil.

my home specs are:
Win7 64Bit, i7-2600, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 570HD
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 30, 2015, 03:31:49 pm
I'm interested in this topic also.

I've just embarked upon a project to further my knowledge of hard-surface modelling and a bit curious as to how many polys I'll be able to chuck around in Nvil.

my home specs are:
Win7 64Bit, i7-2600, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 570HD

I haven't used nvil in a few months but I get near 1 million Tris with decent fps but slow undo and subdivide.

Im running a i7 3770k 32GB ram and a gtx 670

Things may have improved or gotten worse since I haven't used nvil in a long time.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 30, 2015, 05:05:03 pm
This thing that NVil can handle not so many polygons makes me think everytime to go to another app. Because when I start model everything is ok but when model become big it become very hard to work. I think this performance must be improved. Because now days it is not very good result.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 30, 2015, 09:00:20 pm
samardac, I completely agree.  Toolset in Nvil is far superior to any other 3D app that I've tried.  There are some things that I can ONLY do in Nvil and when I use another program I feel frustrated.

However.. High polycounts are expected by most 3d artists these days especially if you're doing SubD modelling.
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 03:33:04 am
So let's ask IStonia in unison - IStonia do not allow us to go to another Apps, Improve performance!!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 09:48:13 am
I will try multi threading and see if it can improve some performance. I need to get a new pc and maybe a new copy of visual studio. It will take a while before I can get some results out.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 11:50:37 am
We will wait! For me after you fix Boolean this performance thing is only one reason to go to another app.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 11:57:19 am
Well what is the main cause of the slow down after undo or unsubdivide, is it .nets garbage collection?

Also performance will be a pretty big task to work on especially in a managed language and runtime like C# and .net

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 10:19:57 pm
Well what is the main cause of the slow down after undo or unsubdivide, is it .nets garbage collection?

Highly doubtful(unless using single core CPU). nets garbage collect/memory release runs in parallel, using its own CPU core for processing.